The wifi on Mavericks is broken

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Raisen223, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Raisen223 macrumors member

I tried disabling bluetooth, I tried remaking my internet connection, I tried restarting; nothing works. It keeps doing random and frequent disconnects for no reason. Lion OS X didn't give me so many problems with wifi before, why can't Mavericks handle wifi properly like Lion can? I almost regret upgrading my OS X now, to be honest.

2. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

Im sure it's not maverick as my imac & laptop have no issues

3. Raisen223 thread starter macrumors member

4. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

5. janitor3 macrumors regular

I had that problem too, after reinstalling twice it still dropped wifi connection.
    How I managed to fix it was by reinstalling mavericks again but using Ethernet cable and leaving wifi switched on. Don't know why but it worked, I now have my wifi connection working again.

6. Raisen223 thread starter macrumors member

I tried doing a fresh reinstall, but my internet would disconnect every time. Had to restart my MAC twice in a row because of it, and I've honestly given up. It's strange though, because everything in the OS X seems to be working fine really, the only thing not functioning properly is the Wi-fi.

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

8. Raisen223 thread starter macrumors member

The MAC is fine and my Wi-fi router is fully functional (other computers with different OSes run on it with no problems). My MAC too used to be able to connect normally, but now it disconnects every 5 minutes. It all started when I upgraded to Mavericks (god, I wish I hadn't).

9. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Argh. I would be pulling my hair out. Have you tried hardwiring the mac to your router, just for grins?

Did you make a backup prior to loading Mavericks? I went through that exercise when it was first released and I loaded it up. A week later I backed off to ML until the first patch was released.

10. Raisen223 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't make a backup, unfortunately. Also, my router is on the other end of the room. Wiring it up to my MAC would be a mess, so I can't do that.

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Try this:

In the System Preferences->Network pane, at the top of that pane is the 'Location' pull-down. Use that to select 'EditLocations …' and in the pop-out click on the + symbol to add a new custom named Location (calling it what you like) and then saving that in the pop-out, Network main page. Don't worry because it will act the same as 'Automatic', you just giving it a custom name. Then Use the System Preferences->Network pane, Airport card to rejoin your wireless network.

12. Raisen223 thread starter macrumors member

I did that and it looked like it was fixed for about 10 minutes, but then it came back to disconnecting every 5 minutes again.

13. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Download the app Network Strength and see what you have..

14. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

15. Raisen223 thread starter macrumors member

I downloaded that app and my network's strength was surprisingly low. It kept alternating in a range of percentages from 16% to 24%. I also had a constant 5% noise, but then it changed to -3%. Now the signal strength decreased significantly to 9% to 18%. It keeps changing every time.

----------

Cisco, Linksys EA4500.

16. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

sounds like you need a WI FI extender..

17. Raisen223 thread starter macrumors member

That doesn't make sense. I've brought in people into my home and they've used the Wi-fi from the same area that I'm in, from the same exact distance from the router and they said that the internet was fine. My MAC also back then (when it was running on OS X Lion) detected the Wi-fi with no problems and it was running smoothly. I don't see why I'd need to buy a Wi-fi extender just because I upgraded my operating system. That's like going one step forward, but two steps back.

18. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

How long have you had this wireless router? I ask because IMHO cheap routers seem to go about every 3 to 4 years.

Plus download the free program iStumbler Beta (don't worry the latest beta will run in 10.9). This way you can see if another access point is on the same channel as your router. This way you could change your wireless channel to something different than the others around you.

19. Raisen223 thread starter macrumors member

So far, I've had it for 1 year. Okay, I'll do that and I'll post back whether my problem's fixed or not.

20. Raisen223, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

Raisen223 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the really late reply, but my internet is working now at the speed that it should. I changed the channel of my router and I'm now situated closer to it, so the signal strength is very good. Only problem now is that everything suddenly stopped working on my MAC. The internet is okay, I can browse the internet on my browser with no problems, but anything else requiring the internet like Steam, online games, Skype etc. doesn't work anymore. I'd really appreciate it if somebody could help me with this. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I fixed it. Apparently, there was an issue with the mDNSResponder and I had to reset my DNS cache. Thanks anyways to everybody who has helped me thus far. This thread can be closed now, as it has served its purpose and my questions are answered.