Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/prerc1/en/x86/download.htm

Here you go. :)

Great for everyone who wants to try RC1 on their Boot Camp Macs or their PCs.

I got RC1 from this link and its working perfectly on my Pentium 4 PC.

Hurry though as they are only going to be taking 100,000 downloads or so.

NOTE : You MUST have a Beta 2 key.

NOTE 2 - The program is now closed. They hit the 100,000 mark in about 36 hours. This thread shall remain open for people to help each other with the installation of the build. Mods, please dont lock.

NOTE 3 - RC1 has been released and will (hopefully) be landing next week for all public testers/MSDN/TechNet. It is already availble via Microsoft Connect, and torrent sites. Note, the torrent sites do NOT come with keys. Its just an easier and faster way to download the ISO since Microsofts servers are going to get slammed HARD.

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006
That is AWESOME! Thanks for the tip! :D :D

How to get the key? (I have registred for Vista Beta 2).

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Your Vista Beta 2 key will work with it (apparently).

I'm at 2% downloaded, 25kB/s, with 29 hours to go :rolleyes: so I can't confirm.

Edit: Erm, an embarassing confession ... I was torrenting (not what you think, it was a video podcast) and forgot to stop the seed. The upload was killing my connection. Now I'm up to 160KB/s download, 4 hours to go. At least my bittorrent ratio went up, to 1.6.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Your Beta 2 key will work. Your Beta 2 key will work up to 10 activations.

If anyone could let me use one of their activations on their key, please PM me. Mines all out of activations. :( (I did a lot of testing on Beta 2 on different machines throughout my house)

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Connection keeps timing out for me :(.

EDIT - now it's working, and I am getting 700-1000 KB/s with the downlaod manager =) .

Thanks for posting this! I hope I can get it to work properly with the Mac Pro - wonder if nLite will let me roll the SATA drivers into Vista?

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Varies between 700-760 KB/sec. Gotta love T1 lines at school...

Nuc

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006
Look at my earlier post, is there both a RC1 and Pre-RC1 out for download? Or what is it?

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Heh.

I wonder why there is two different sizes. I just noticed that too. The one I downloaded before is 2.58 GB, but this one is almost 3.2 GB. Mines almost finished, so I'll open it and see whats up for you guys.

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006
Okey that is great. But the other one says it is RC1 and the other one Pre-RC1.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
ImAlex said:
Look at my earlier post, is there both a RC1 and Pre-RC1 out for download? Or what is it?
The email I got from MS this morning said that it's a Pre-RC1 build.

Thank you for participating in the Windows Vista Beta 2 Customer Preview Program (CPP). Your help is playing a critical role in improving the overall quality of what we believe is one of the most important OS advances in the history of PC computing. As a participant in the Beta 2 CPP, you will be able to download Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 (RC1) as soon as it becomes available.

In the mean time, we are inviting a limited number of CPP participants to help test a pre-RC1 build. Your timely feedback on this build will help us improve the quality of the final RC1 release that will be available to millions of customers in the coming weeks.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
plinden said:
Your Vista Beta 2 key will work with it (apparently).

I'm at 2% downloaded, 25kB/s, with 29 hours to go :rolleyes: so I can't confirm.

I don't have a Vista key of any kind. Is there one that comes with this download or a legal way to get one? Otheriwise I am wasting my time by downloading!

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006
aristobrat said:
The email I got from MS this morning said that it's a Pre-RC1 build.

Okey. Still a little bit confusing.

Will people testing Windows Vista Pre-RC1, be able to update from Pre-RC1 to RC1? Or is it a new download?

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
amin said:
I don't have a Vista key of any kind. Is there one that comes with this download or a legal way to get one? Otheriwise I am wasting my time by downloading!

Techinally speaking, you can install the build without a key. I dont know how long it will work for you though.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
ImAlex said:
Okey. Still a little bit confusing.

Will people testing Windows Vista Pre-RC1, be able to update from Pre-RC1 to RC1? Or is it a new download?
Heh. Here's the whole email I got. The bold underline part is what you're looking for, I think. :)

Invitation to participate in Windows Vista pre-RC1 test program

We would like to invite you to help test the latest build of Windows Vista.

Thank you for participating in the Windows Vista Beta 2 Customer Preview Program (CPP). Your help is playing a critical role in improving the overall quality of what we believe is one of the most important OS advances in the history of PC computing. As a participant in the Beta 2 CPP, you will be able to download Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 (RC1) as soon as it becomes available.

In the mean time, we are inviting a limited number of CPP participants to help test a pre-RC1 build. Your timely feedback on this build will help us improve the quality of the final RC1 release that will be available to millions of customers in the coming weeks.

We are only making 100,000 downloads of this build available. As soon as we reach 100,000 downloads, the program will be closed. Participation in this program is not required for participation in the RC1 CPP. Whether or not you participate in this pre-RC1 test, we will send you another email message to alert you to the availability of the final RC1 build.

After downloading, please install and test the build as soon as possible. Most importantly, if there is a crash, hang or error – please make sure that you send the information back to us using the built-in Windows Error Reporting technology. Sending this information is essential to helping us improve the overall quality of Windows Vista – and collecting this information is the primary purpose of distributing this pre-RC1 release.

As with the original Beta 2 CPP, we remind you that this is pre-release software and you should not run this on production or mission critical PCs. Support will be limited to newsgroups, and you will have to do a clean install to move from this build to the final RC1 or RTM builds of Windows Vista.

You will be able to upgrade an existing Windows Vista Beta 2 or Windows XP installation to this build. However you will not be able to get back to your original installation after upgrading to this pre-RC1 build – you will have to do a clean install in order to get back to your previous configuration.

<snip>

Installing this build requires a valid Product ID. Please use the same Product ID that was provided to you when you signed up for the Beta 2 CPP. For your reference, here is that Product ID:

<snip>

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006
aristobrat said:
Heh. Here's the whole email I got. The bold underline part is what you're looking for, I think. :)

Alright okey, lets hope the other one is RC1. Kinda anoyying to install a new one each time. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.