Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
can someone post the actual web address of the file? not the download page

DisturbedSith

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
Bay Area
After 4 hours, I give up...

I was hoping somebody who has gotten this to work on their intel Mac might post some directions as to what you did.* I've tried twice, but I get stuck at the same spot.* I get an error saying that Windows cannot find the winloader.exe file?* If somebody could help, I'd be most appreciative.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
so the name of the file that everyone is downloading is "vista_5536.16385.050821-1900_vista_rc1_x86fre_client-lr1cfre_en_dvd.iso
not some akamai_temp.iso? or are they identical

also, can anyone who has installed tell me what's the built number for this version? it looks like 5536 from the file name, but i just wanted make sure

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
bearbo said:
so the name of the file that everyone is downloading is "vista_5536.16385.050821-1900_vista_rc1_x86fre_client-lr1cfre_en_dvd.iso
not some akamai_temp.iso? or are they identical

also, can anyone who has installed tell me what's the built number for this version? it looks like 5536 from the file name, but i just wanted make sure
the akamai_temp.iso is the windows vista file that's supposted to be downloaded with the akamai download manager. And vista_5536.16385.060821-1900_vista_rc1_x86fre_client-lr1cfre_en_dvd.iso is the file that is being downloaded. And yes 5536 is the build number of it.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
DisturbedSith said:
I was hoping somebody who has gotten this to work on their intel Mac might post some directions as to what you did.* I've tried twice, but I get stuck at the same spot.* I get an error saying that Windows cannot find the winloader.exe file?* If somebody could help, I'd be most appreciative.
IIRC, the winloader.exe message was common in previous builds, but fixed in later builds.

I'm curious if you had a chance to follow Nermal's advice and verify that the checksum of your ISO matches the one posted in this thread?

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
For everyone who doesnt have a key, follow these steps :

Burn the ISO image to a DVD-R.
Insert the DVD-R into the computer and reboot, having it boot off of the CD. You'll need to select the CD under Startup Disk (Mac) or tell your machine to boot from the CD in the BIOS (PC)
Let the CD load, then click Install Now.
It will prompt for a product key. Declick the Activate Windows when I'm online box, then click Next.
You'll get an error message alerting you about the no product key inserted, just click No. On the next screen, click the Ultimate edition, click the check box at the bottom, and hit Next.

It will start to install.

You'll probably only get 2 weeks before it expires, but by then the actual RC1 should be released, and you can just sign up for that and upgrade over 5536.

DisturbedSith

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
Bay Area
aristobrat said:
IIRC, the winloader.exe message was common in previous builds, but fixed in later builds.

I'm curious if you had a chance to follow Nermal's advice and verify that the checksum of your ISO matches the one posted in this thread?

I actually deleted the ISO from my harddrive, so is there any way to verify the checksum from the DVD?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Steve Jobless said:
i just checked my file its only 838 mbs...... should i just delete it?

are you sure it's complete download? where did you download

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Well if it wasnt complete, that sucks, because I'm sorry to say this but you cannot download it from the site anymore. :(

I recommend everyone who does install it do a nice clean install instead of an upgrade. I formatted and reinstalled and it solved all my sound problems and its also a lot faster. I suppose thats because theres no bits of XP slowing it down.

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
i downloaded direct from microsoft

also i was out while it was downloading, i used firefox.

the total download took about an hour so i susspect that has something to do with it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Is there a way of requesting your serial be emailed back to you from M$ as I lost my previous serial when my white macbook died?

edit: nevermind I just found it scribbled down ... phew :)

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I downloaded it from the download manager which was a Java applet, and it took about 2 hours to download the entire 3.2 GB image.

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006
The problem was a bad download. It works now! AWESOME! It runs kinda smooth even with 512 MB RAM, and it feels great. I am connected to the internet and can browse websites (I am actually writing this on Windows Vista) but when I try to activate Vista it says "Windows Activation Error

A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate. Error Code 0x8002EFD.
For a possible resolution, click More Information.
You can also contact Microsoft by phone to help resolve this problem.

Show me other ways to activate."

"A connection with the server could not be established."

I can call the phonenumber, but I wanna activate it online.

Any ideas?

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006
It must be some kind of server errors on Microsoft's servers.
I am not suprised over Vista after testing it. Sure it is much bling bling, but the interface is not nice for the eyes and actually I thought it was better. Sure the performance is fine and so, but it does not impress me. Mac OS X is superior now, it is much better than Vista I belive. Vista is too hyped. They try to make it look awesome on websites, photos, and so on, but it does not meet its hype in my opinion.

Mac OS X! :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ok it installed, is there anyway you can get the isight drivers to install?

Great that bootcamp is no longer affected :)

Oh and performance is a lot better than the previous version.

BUT!!!!!!!!!
Update Edit: After about an hour of running, i tried out some WMV video files. They played very choppily which was strange? Then the fans began howling in my macbook and I put my hand on the base. The temperature was hotter than I have EVER experienced when running mac osX.

A quick boot back into mac osX and things are back to normal with core duo temp hovering around 45c whilst itunes is open & playing and safari open typing away...

I'll try windows Vista again tomorrow, but I'm nervous now in regards to temperature.

Anyone else experienced it?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
There were a couple of times that my MacBook got toasty (and the fans howled) when running Vista last night.

Did you do the Windows Update so that it downloaded the new chipset drivers, etc?

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
i got the new pre-rc1 vista going on my MacPro installation was no problem althought i did get a blue screen wd.sys i dunno what that is
but yea everything seems to going fine except! the video card is all screwy... 4bit video at 800X600 dealio

so i tried the nvidia vista drivers and same thing so went aorund the device manager and it says

this deivce cannot find enough free resources that it can use (code 12)!

anyone know a way aroudn this or got vista going on thiese mac pros??

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
aristobrat said:
There were a couple of times that my MacBook got toasty (and the fans howled) when running Vista last night.

Did you do the Windows Update so that it downloaded the new chipset drivers, etc?

Yep!, I wonder if they are to blame? It's kind of putting me off leaving it on my macbook. I will install it on my imac later and give it a try.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
aiongiant said:
i got the new pre-rc1 vista going on my MacPro installation was no problem althought i did get a blue screen wd.sys i dunno what that is
but yea everything seems to going fine except! the video card is all screwy... 4bit video at 800X600 dealio

so i tried the nvidia vista drivers and same thing so went aorund the device manager and it says

this deivce cannot find enough free resources that it can use (code 12)!

anyone know a way aroudn this or got vista going on thiese mac pros??

Try deinstalling the device in Device Manager, then restart, and run the drivers.

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006
The activation works now so it is great and websites aswell. In update it came a sigtel update, but my sound is not working. Any idea?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.