The Wire DVD Backup

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cherrybomb, Mar 31, 2009.

1. cherrybomb macrumors regular

cherrybomb

Before it's asked, I did a search for threads on this and received nothing.

I have got five series of the wire in DVD that I would like to backup (ahem!). I bought some recordable DVDs to back them up on to. I then realized that the original DVDs are a whopping 7.4GB worth, and I bought the standard 4.7GB dvds.

Is there any way that I could work around this? I would like to convert them to iPhone friendly formats at a later time but just wanted to backup my original copys before hand...

Any information would be great, oh and just so you know, I'm using a G4 1.5GHZ PowerBook running OS 10.4.11.

Thanks

2. synthfreek macrumors newbie

3. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

I've never used it so can't speak to it but if you're going from dual-layer to single layer DVDs, that means compression and that also means loss in quality. I've used mac-the-ripper and popcorn for this in the past to "back-up" my mother's movies to a safe place in my home. But the quality often sucked.

I'm guessing you don't have a dual-layer superdrive? sorry, I'm lazy and am not about to look up your specs ;)

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You didn't look very hard ;)
    If you don't have a dual layer, you'll have to compress them down. You might save some space to you extract the episodes only with Mac The Ripper.

5. mastershakess macrumors 6502

He didn't look at all :(

6. cherrybomb thread starter macrumors regular

cherrybomb

thanks people very informative, I guess my only option is mac the ripper. Silly me forgot that you extract within the dvd with mac the ripper...

Thank you