The wireless airport on the 17 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blitzraider, Jan 18, 2009.

1. blitzraider macrumors member

I was wondering what frequency is the wireless n running at in the new MBP 17 inch. If you don't understand, wireless n has the ability to connect at 2 different frequencies. The common frequency that has been used in the past is 2.4ghz. However, wireless n can also connect at a frequency band of 5ghz, which is faster and less used. I just bought the linksys dual n band router so I was wondering can the MBP run in either frequency, if so, where can you adjust it? Thanks!:apple:

2. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

it will operate in both if its the same as the macbook. i ran my airport extreme in 5ghz mode at one stage and i picked it up no problems, then went to another location and picked up a 2.4ghz network without changing any settings. i dont know about viewing both 2.4 and 5.0ghz networks at the same time though.

2.4 is better unless you are in a crowded area because it has higher penetration through walls. 5.0ghz band doesnt have good range at all i have found

3. blitzraider thread starter macrumors member

Does that mean that you don't have a choice? For the wireless n dual band router, the ROUTER itself can run at both frequencies. But the computer has to be one frequency or the other. So I was just wondering. Thanks anyways

4. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

well considering that you cant connect to two wireless networks at once does it really matter if the computer can do two at once?

the computer can connect to either. an airport extreme can transmit to either