Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

N33t

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
I am thinking about giving The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition a go via Steam and OSX.

Anyone have any thoughts on this title?

Also, any sense of how it will run on the following system?

Late 2012 iMac, 27"
3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB RAM
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

Last edited:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I've finished the OS X version when it was released, on an iMac mid-2010 model. I had to use medium/low settings to play smoothly and still I had some framerate drops here and there. Generally, though, totally playable and one of the greatest RPGs I've ever played.

On your machine it will be much better as 680MX is by far superior, but I wouldn't bet it'll be smooth on highest settings. I highly recommend it, don't miss it.

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
It might be high, I do not think will be on full resolution though. Witcher 2 is a kind of game that requires a high end system. GPU is a definitely a big game changer, cause iMac actually has a notebook gpu. Although you'll get a good graphic.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
First 3/4 of the game are fantastic.

However... Last act comes surprisingly too soon and is an empty hollow shell of the earlier portions of the game by simply acting as a large corridor to ferry you quickly and without any thoughtful design of those earlier moments of exploration to the games finale which sadly likewise is simply unremarkable in every way and totally forgetable afterwards....

The last act (city) to me was so poorly crafted unlike earlier portions of the game it spoiled the overall experience. It screamed of developers running out of time and money and needing to finish the title and get it on store shelves ASAP. Which is pretty evident when you realise how much stuff they added and fixed with the v.2 update enhanced edition. The original came out simply to hit deadlines and imho it shows.

So yeah prepare for 3/4 of a stunning and great RPG full of characters and a living world followed by a final quarter of a empty, souless, mindless, badly devised third party generic action adventure that simply exists to get you to the end credits ASAP.

N33t

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
Thanks all. I am giving it a go - so far very enjoyable. Someone else said the last 1/4 was entirely underwhelming so I will try to make the most of the first 3/4!

Out of interest, does anyone have any advice on video settings for the system mentioned in the OP. I have used the default "High" settings, turned shadows to low and made it 900x1600 display. It runs smooth-ish but I suspect there is a better configuration. Testing each setting individually is quite a hassle, however, as it requires a game re-start. Any thoughts gratefully received...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.