The World Responds To iPhone 4 Debacle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wirelessmacuser, Jun 28, 2010.

1. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

The newly released iPhone 4 is having some problems in the press at the moment and may face some opposition from the new Droid X. If Apple cannot resolve these iPhone 4 problems, unsure potential customers may move over to Motorola’s new Droid X as their communication device of choice.
    http://apexnewsnetwork.com/23622/motorola-droid-x-vs-iphone-4-features-and-specs-comparison/

Nokia has latched onto its key advantage over arch-rival Apple's iPhone 4: you can hold the Finns' phones virtually anyway you want.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/28/nokia_hands/

APPARENTLY Steve Jobs' engineering blunder on the Iphone 4 antenna might be rescued by a strip of... sticky tape.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1719454/sticky-tape-fixes-iphone-antenna-glitch

The conventional wisdom is that Apple's iTunes store is a richer experience than the market.

The reality is that most common tasks performed on an iPhone can be achieved by equivalent Android apps, and sometimes faster and better.

The iPhone is disadvantaged against the more powerful Android handsets, such as the HTC Desire with its 1 GHz processor, bright high resolution screen, 5-megapixel camera with flash, removable battery, inbuilt FM radio, an expansion slot that supports a 32 GB memory card, and with the multitasking Android v2.1 operating system.
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aus...arallel-universe/story-e6frgakx-1225885405639

2. irish1313 macrumors member

It is great to hear the media responding... I am waiting for Apple to "officially" respond. Steve's response was great

3. ginsengbomb macrumors member

If you read the article, you'll note that the iPhone being referenced in that paragraph is the 3GS running iOS 3.x, not the iPhone 4 w/ iOS 4. Just sayin'.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The more I investigate, the more I think this is a software issue and I hope for a quick and easy update this week.

I do appreciate the media picking up on this story, though it seems like none of them really know what to actually report on - there's a lot of misinformation going around about this issue and the media seems to just pick and choose things from youtube and discussion forums without any evidence backing it up. All we really know is that there is an issue and what it's effect is. It's up to Apple to find and fix the cause. :)

5. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

The world is represented here by 4 random links to sub par websites.

Interesting.

IMO the world responds by buying 1.7 million Iphone 4

6. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

The media doesn't know what to say because Apple isn't saying or doing ANYTHING. The negative media articles are just going to get worse and worse and it's Apple's fault. Why aren't they doing anything? It has been 5 days.

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

You mean an Apple product does not have the highest specs for products in its category? Shocking! It will surely be a failure now.

It's almost as if they are actually examining the problem and working on a solution rather than just spouting some PR B.S. at us. Those jerks!

8. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

The media love a bad news story and it seems like Apple have become a fashionable target. The BBC website carried two stories in quick succession and they both made the 10 most read stories of the day despite having largely identical content. They even managed to find a man who found his new phone to be "practically useless" (or words to that effect).

The simple truth for the vast majority of users is that the phone works and to my mind it works better than my previous 3GS on all fronts. I don't regret my purchase and I pity those who feel the need to spend an age filming themselves squeezing their phones.

9. irish1313 macrumors member

I have to believe that they are ******** themselves, and do not have a fix yet.

10. irish1313 macrumors member

I am also a little confused as to why Apple would post sales #'s before any official response or possible fix. I get that it was qtr end and all, but crisis management or quality control, or Apple PR or Steve himself needs to explain.

"not an issue", and "hold it differently" doesn't = explaination

11. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Yeah because clearly they got to their position as a leader in the tech market from not having a clue how their products work. We totally should doubt Apple, bunch of noobs.

12. ginsengbomb macrumors member

While I personally agree with the "mountain out of a mole hill" interpretation of this entire "debacle" -- my phone works fantastic, blows my old 3G out of the water, and I have no problem making phone calls with it -- I agree with you that Apple needs to grab this by the horns, from a PR standpoint. It's almost as if they're adopting John Kerry's tactic in dealing with the whole Swift Boat controversy -- keeping silent and not giving any attention to what they think is a non-issue. It's not going to work, and until Apple forms an effective, public response, this is not going to get any better.

I personally think it's hilarious how big an issue this has become. Yes, I can make my phone lose bars of reception if I grip the lower left corner in a Volkan death grip. It's not as if the thing's unusable. It's not even as if the thing is anything less than completely freaking wonderful. But, from a PR standpoint, Apple needs to say and do something, rather than just sit there ignoring the issue while the media pours gasoline on a fire that they started.

13. admanimal macrumors 68040

Really? You're surprised that a company brags about how well their product is selling before whispering to us about what to do about the problems?

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Seriously doubt the Droid X is going to cause the avg consumer to rethink the iPhone. Nothing against the Droid X or any other Droid phone, but its not a mainstream phone, it's a niche phone. It's an ubergeek toy, not something a professional is going to own, nor anything that a H'wood star is going to use to draw in the teen/college fashionable crowd. The genius of the iPhone is that it serves so many demographics: geeks, fashionistas, professionals.

15. irish1313 macrumors member

Please don't get me wrong. We are an Apple family. I just expected some type of reassurance. Honestly, with all the Apple products we own, this reception issue, ( and yellow spot - that seems to be fading on my wife's phone ) are really the only issues we have personally had. I read most of the posts, and some of them get out of control, but an issue that is this large needs explanation. Hell, I could care less that they sold 1.7 mil. That info is irrelevant to the fact that my wife cannot complete very many calls....
    And being unsympathetic to my wife is hazardous to my mental well being. lol

16. Baltika09 macrumors member

17. irish1313 macrumors member

I totally agree- My wife asked me to get her a different phone on Saturday, she needs it for her job. I told her to chill, Apple will fix it soon. I was just hoping for a little insight today before I read about the sales #'s.

18. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

No response is better than giving one in some instances. Nothing frustrates the media more than not getting sound bites to spew their crap. 90% of what the media puts out is bull***** anyway.

This will blow over in a month and in 6 months, no one will remember it. Meanwhile sales will continue to skyrocket.

19. snberk103 macrumors 603

Because they have over 2 million people going around saying "Reception problem? No big deal." (The 1.7 million number was up to and including Saturday.)

20. zoman504 macrumors regular

I wonder if the vast majority of people, who most likely do not follow tech blog's religiously, will write this off as an AT&T issue - dropped calls, poor reception, etc. We all know it is a hardware/software issue, but they may not yet. I'm really hoping more and more news publications continue to pick the story up, and they will, talking about Apple brings in traffic, esp with a possible defect at hand.

21. woofermazing macrumors member

If it's so ubergeek, why does Android have a larger market share than the iPhone? Android shouldn't be underestimated. 77% of launch purchases of the i4 were upgrades from previous iPhones. That does not bode well if Apple is looking to make market share gains. This antenna fiasco is not going to help draw in new customers either.

22. Centient macrumors 6502

I came in here expecting to read some kind of UN resolution on the iPhone antenna issue. All I got was an Android rant. Oh well.

23. dulaney22 macrumors regular

So you buy a phone based on what a H'wood star endorses? That may be the most ridiculous reason I've heard yet.

I'm a professional and may end up with the Droid X. Why, because 1) ATT dropped calls, 2) Swype, 3) Widgets and 4) bigger screen. I've loved my iPhone for over 2 years, but it has it's problems. The ability to make text entry easier and direct links to contacts is a big selling point for me . . . not to mention the screen will load up with about double the info.

24. wirelessmacuser thread starter macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I've enjoyed Apple products for years. In many cases they've been my favorites. Yet as a multi-platformist, I've also enjoyed other brands. Mobile computing & communications has been my niche. Thus I've owned a vast number of laptops & mobile phones. Currently I'm using a new fully loaded MacBook Pro. It's been excellent from day one. As a high tech professional, I understand bugs & glitches, especially in an all new product like the iPhone 4 (my fav smartphone). Thus when bugs surface it's more important _how_ they are handled rather than the fact that a bug exists. Regarding this much discussed antenna issue, I have but two complaints. First, a bug of this significance should have been caught in testing. Especially since iPhones are known to be weak in that area, and the fact that Jobs highlighted this new antenna at WWDC. Second complaint is his first terse off handed response. That one came back to bite him in the ass.

As the CEO, he was presented with a golden opportunity to show concern & responsibility. He blew that off like he could care less. It's that level of arrogance that puts me off & causes me to view him as the greedy pompous person he is. Oh sure he's brilliant, but with an attitude like that well...

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Because iPhone and BB split the mature adult, i.e., professional market while all the Apple hating ubergeeks flock to Droid.

Hey guy, don't put words in my mouth. Where did I say I bought a phone based on what H'wood stars endorse? Your comment makes you look re-dic-u-lous. I'm sure you are aware though that there is a segment of the population that is highly influenced by such marketing. It's why that kind of marketing exists so don't act dumb like its something I pulled from a hat.