Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the worst iMac model?

• iMac G3

Votes: 39 37.9%
  • iMac G4

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • iMac G5

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • iMac Intel

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Alu iMac Intel

Votes: 17 16.5%

• Total voters

themanfromvlad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
Montreal
Of all the iMac models, which was the worst one, in respect to when they were launched?

I've got to say I hate the G5 processor, and that's why I don't hesitate to say the iMac G5 was the worst. It takes forever to come around after sleeping, the fans can get mighty loud at times and this model was particularly susceptible to logic board issues. As well, the G5 became a lame duck near it's end, when it was clear that IBM product roadmap wasn't going to keep pace with Apple's.

This is in contrast to other iMac models. The G3 iMac marked the beginning of great things for Apple, and those computers are so rock solid they are running like champs for many today. With the exception of its hard-to-reach ports on the back, the iMac G4 was beautiful, well-designed, and to this day I have people look at the one sitting in the corner of my office and say "I love this new Mac." Both versions of the Intel iMac have been well received, but I know many of you have issues with the Alu iMac's displays.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
They were all fantastic innovations in my opinion.

I agree,

the G3 was awesome simply because it was an all in one,
the G4 was cool because it got rid of the CRTs
the G5 was nice because it included the whole computer in one unit
the CoreDuo Model was the first to include an intel proc
the Aluminum is one of the most amazing looking machines I have ever seen

Each machine was amazing at the time it came out!

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
The worst design is the previous white ones. They look nasty compared to the new design.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
they are all excellent for there day - if you said which ones the best mind ! i'd say iMac G4 that was plain cool !

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
My favorite was the iMac G4. Having the screen on the swivel arm, up, down, tilt, and 200-degree rotate was great. Plus, they just looked futuristic at the time. Too bad the G4 chip was going stale as those were current, making them a lower value than the current iMacs.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I agree,

the G3 was awesome simply because it was an all in one,
the G4 was cool because it got rid of the CRTs
the G5 was nice because it included the whole computer in one unit
the CoreDuo Model was the first to include an intel proc
the Aluminum is one of the most amazing looking machines I have ever seen

Each machine was amazing at the time it came out!

all imacs have been all in ones, it did not start with the g5's lol

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
My favorite was the iMac G4. Having the screen on the swivel arm, up, down, tilt, and 200-degree rotate was great. Plus, they just looked futuristic at the time. Too bad the G4 chip was going stale as those were current, making them a lower value than the current iMacs.

i'm still thinking of buying the 20" G4 iMac as a internet Mac :cool:

can be bought darn cheap now day's

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Who voted for the G3? That was a revolutionary computer, yes its ugly now but we'd be using beige boxes still if it weren't for that.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
i'm still thinking of buying the 20" G4 iMac as a internet Mac :cool:

can be bought darn cheap now day's

I picked up a 1 Ghz G4 17" for $399 from property disposition from a nearby university about a year ago. What a great machine for the kids: gaming, web surfing, movie-watching before bed. Perfect.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Quite frankly, when the 2007 model was released, i was quite disappointed with the design.... I was thinking something much more flashing.. cool... futuristic etc.. but its really just the same sort of thing... :(

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
even though apple would never go backwards - an Intel Core 2 CPU in the G4 Dome design

That's more like it:cool:

but yep i remember seeing the G5 iMac in Paris Expo and thinking mm not great but ok it sort of grows on you

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Agreed that the best ever was the iMac G4. It was just gorgeous. I'm also quite partial to the iMac G3 since it was the original. Especially the colors from the particular revision where they had Indigo, Ruby, and Sage. Those 3 along with the Graphite and Snow models were my favs color wise.

On the other hand, the iMac G5 is easily the worst iMac ever in my opinion. Way too many reliability issues with those, and the performance never seemed to be that great on them either.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
even though apple would never go backwards - an Intel Core 2 CPU in the G4 Dome design

That's more like it:cool:

Seconded. It was kinda hoping that the 2007 update would be a redesign that would put back the swivel arm functionality. Or at least the modern 2007 equivalent.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
personally i think all the intel imacs sucked balls considering i hate the intels cause of there slower preformance than the powerpc and but the white was the worst cause they didnt really change the look

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
He meant having the entire computer in one unit, not having it independently like in the G4.

Well, the entire computer was in one unit with the original iMac G3, so that's still technically incorrect to say the G5s were the first. :)

personally i think all the intel imacs sucked balls considering i hate the intels cause of there slower preformance than the powerpc and but the white was the worst cause they didnt really change the look

I hope you're kidding because all of the Intel model iMacs clearly blow all of the PowerPC models away performance wise.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
Well, the entire computer was in one unit with the original iMac G3, so that's still technically incorrect to say the G5s were the first. :)

I hope you're kidding because all of the Intel model iMacs clearly blow all of the PowerPC models away performance wise.

well how is the imac g3 not .. and im only saying this because my brothers imac g5 blows away my macbook and there both 1.83ghz and iunno i like ppc because of there looks and i dont know i just like them

JNB

macrumors 604

well how is the imac g3 not .. and im only saying this because my brothers imac g5 blows away my macbook and there both 1.83ghz and iunno i like ppc because of there looks and i dont know i just like them

Gee, Lance, looks like you got pwned there... :p

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Umm, pwned how exactly? :confused: ;) I think if you look at any iMac review done over the last 2 years by Bare Feats, MacWorld, or virtually anyone else, they would back me up on that. :D

Seriously, I know there are still a few people left out there that hated the Intel transition but c'mon now, no one can still seriously think that a G5 iMac outperforms an Intel based iMac can they?? :) I know in the beginning there were some issues with Rosetta, but virtually everything is Universal now, so even that is no longer a factor.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
Umm, pwned how exactly? :confused: ;) I think if you look at any iMac review done over the last 2 years by Bare Feats, MacWorld, or virtually anyone else, they would back me up on that. :D

Seriously, I know there are still a few people left out there that hated the Intel transition but c'mon now, no one can still seriously think that a G5 iMac outperforms an Intel based iMac can they?? :) I know in the beginning there were some issues with Rosetta, but virtually everything is Universal now, so even that is no longer a factor.

well i also hate mine cause its the 950 gma intel graphics acclerator and it sucks it playes worse on wow than the imac g5 but then it has a 128 compaired to my 64

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
but who ever says the imac g3 is the worst is a idiot because if there was no imac tray there would be no slot loading and no slotloading no imac g3 snow and there white would exxist making the imac g4 not to come to mine and other models

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.