The WORST thing I've seen in a while!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by spaceboots06, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

That is horrible, but i don't think the parents can be charged with neglect. The daughter left the house, returned and then starved. AND she was legally an adult. I would think that she also had a severe mental issue

2. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

:eek:

WHAT!?!

Regardless, if a 5'7" female is sub-100 pounds and forced to stay in your home, you have bigger problems than just being charged with neglect.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Why would she go back? I don't think we have the whole story...

4. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Returned with a college degree, no less! I can understand that the women had mental issues, but the father says he was aware of the danger and said nothing??? And the neighbor who knew enough about their lifestyle to know what was in the fridge yet notified no one. Those are the people who amaze me - and not in a good way!

5. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

She was allowed to leave, thats how she got her university degree. She obviously returned of her own free will

6. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

The video described her not being able to leave the home. I guess in a weakened state, your mind also becomes weak.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Unreal. Both parents should be put in prison the rest of their lives. This type of thing is unexcusable.

8. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

Wow...
    The parents, mentally ill or not, should spend the rest of their lives in jail.
    Their actions (or lack of) caused the death of an innocent person.

And I don't quite understand this part of the article:

Defecating and washing yourself in the same place, especially in a sink, is definitely not a good way to prevent germs.
    And also, why didn't the husband resist? She couldn't force him, could she?

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    The husband.. how on earth could he let this go on..

10. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Those 2 parts taken together are what I find strange.

My ex's family fostered and then adopted a little girl who'd been left in a cot with nothing to do but stare at the ceiling for her first 4 or 5 years. She has severe learning difficulties and as she's grown older some other psychological issues have also come to light. She could barely speak when they fostered her at 8 years old. She won't ever be able to live alone, let alone get a degree.

I'm probably basing this too much on my own experience of knowing this girl, but I don't understand how someone who has gone through severe neglect (the kind which leaves you "developmentally stilted") could get a degree.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And they both didn't see something wrong with that? They should have got help for the mother and why did the daughter return home?
    Truthfully I don't think anyone is to blame here. Mad mother, mad daughter and mad father for letting all this go on.

12. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

And not a particularly clean jail.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Some of you are asking why the father didn't do something about it, but perhaps after a number of years, the father was also affected by his wife's attitude as well, and is just victim #2 in all this. He poos and washes up in a sink. It's quite obvious that his life isn't all kittens and candy either. It's completely messed up.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

To all of you asking "why she went back?", it's a combination of trauma and family bond. Victims often bond with their abuser through the abuse as trauma becomes a part of their identity. It's likely that her going to college was not at all like most of us would assume. After growing up in that environment her social skills were probably greatly diminished not to mention her personal boundaries. Truly a sad story.

16. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Obviously not pleasant (although we clearly don't know the whole story) but if this is the worse anyone's seen they must have had a very short exposure to the media.

17. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Well, this mother had mysophobia, so, I guess she'd know best in terms of how to stay hygienic. Maybe we should all defecate in sinks, because it's cleaner! :rolleyes:

That's cruel and unusual! Or maybe it's common. I've never been to jail, so I can't say. :p

18. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

My parents know someone who did something like this, although on a MUCH smaller scale.

This woman thought she had a clever way of making sure her little boy would stay out of trouble. Whenever she needed him to stay away from something, she would tell him he was allergic. "You don't want to eat that candy! You're allergic!"

The poor kid grew up paranoid, nervous, and thought he was allergic to everything. I remember times when he came over to play, my mother would offer him something and he would visibly tense up, shake his head and mumble something about allergies.

He's roughly my age now (and long since figured out the truth), but he's still not 100% there in the head.

19. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Disgusting. And sad. The mother is obviously insane and belongs in an institution, not living on her own. The father is equally guilty for allowing this abuse to occur.

20. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I think human's minds are too malleable at a young age. I really do. Why is it that we trust everything/everyone when we're little?!

I guess by that thinking, teaching a kid to not trust everything will result in an adult who's overly paranoid too.

21. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Depends how you define free will. It's possible to impair somebody psychologically in such a way that they don't believe they can survive on their own -- even if intellectually and physically they can.

This girl might have left home trying to break out of that cycle of abuse, and found herself drawn back into it for the same reasons some women go back to men who abuse them.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A sad story. In the letters following the linked article is one purporting to be from the girl's aunt, which is revealing. No good purpose would be served by putting the parents in jail: it isn't as if they are going to be repeat offenders, and they are obviously seriously in need of therapy.

23. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

wow, thats pretty f**ked up. They shouldnt be being charged with neglect, but negligent homicide, as that is the more proper crime. And for those of you who think that they shouldnt be charged or that she (the dead girl) was of her own free will, regardless that she came back, she was treated this way from birth, so its set it stone to her of how life is supposed to be. It is the equivalent of Pavlov's Law (google it). That being said, she couldnt leave because she was mentally incapable of it. The mother should either get life in a mental institution with no social interaction or no less than negligent homicide in the 1st degree, and the father should be getting the negligent homicide charge as well. Thats flatout bulls***, and they need to pay. Ugh, people disgust me.

24. munchmime macrumors member

Charges can be filed

there are many things that the parents can be charged for. it's all stated in the penal law's. most likely INTENT can not be proved, but "knowingly" and "recklessly" can apply - especially to the father - therefor enabling prosecutors to charge him with a fair amount of lesser crimes. Felony convictions will probably not fit unless the DA is very creative because they have to prove intent on wanting to kill the daughter, but a misdemeanor is more likely.
    also there is the location of the crimes - i'm not sure as to those penal laws because at this moment i'm too lazy to look them up for where the alleged crimes took place.

but let it be known that charges can be placed, regardless if the girl left and came back upon her own free will or not.