The "WOW!" factor with Apple Led Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gwihannom, Dec 3, 2008.

1. gwihannom macrumors member

A few days ago I stopped by at the APPLE store in Manhattan, NY. Having purchased the MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, I've been looking into the LED Cinema Display that was introduced together.

I've been criticizing it because, well, it costs $900! If I pay a couple hundred dollars more, I could just get a second iMac desktop. For less than $900, I could get a Windows PC system INCLUDING a 24' monitor! (Although it would be brands like ACER, Hanns G, etc...)

I understand, technologically LED Cinema Display is more advanced. But again, for $900 it's too expensive.

You can't really compare APPLE and DELL 24 inches, because it's not fair just to say APPLE costs twice as more, same size. There are other factors included and I think APPLE priced it for a reason.

I'm not complaining the LED Cinema Display is overpriced. I'm just saying it costs a lot.

So I got back home and for the last few days I've been debating.
    LED Cinema Display for $900?
    Get a second monitor for half the price and get an adapter?
    What if I don't see top quality as LED's?
    Should I just get a second PC?

Can't decide...

But regarding the LED Cinema Display itself; just beautiful.
    Nothing bad can really be said about it. If you have seen it, you probably know what I mean.

APPLE products are like drug. You get one, you gotta get the other one.
    Then you gotta get the matching that one.

Damn... maybe I should have stuck with my Toshiba... :p

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

It is currently the cheapest 24" LED display in the market...

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

By around $400. And many of those don't have speakers, a microphone, or a camera.

4. wahit macrumors member

wahit

cinema display > LED cinema display

My opinion, of course :)

5. Jozone macrumors 6502

Only on Previous-gen mac laptops... who wants to have all of those ugly adapters floating around? :D

6. MacGuy84 macrumors member

The only thing really holding me back right now on making this purchase is the displays lack of compatibility with other products, even apple products. In the future I would like to maybe purchase a mac mini or even hook up my xbox to the monitor in my bedroom.

Im really stuck here, I just feel it is so much money for me to waste on Monitor that will ONLY work with my Macbook. It just looks so nice though.

7. gwihannom thread starter macrumors member

When Apple LED Cinema Display was announced, Steve Jobs stated that mini display port will be available in all of their future computer-line products. Current generation iMac, Mac Pro, Mac Mini don't have the mini display port, but all future products will have it. So if you purchase this monitor, you'll have it compatible with all the new Macs to come out.

But I understand how you feel about matching with MacBook, man... it's beautiful. Saw it at the Apple Store and almost gave away my credit card...

8. descartes macrumors 6502

you definitely have to see it to appreciate it.

9. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Just remember, its LED not LCD, which may not justify the price, but there is a difference

10. gibbz macrumors 68030

Technically it is still LCD. It is just backlit with LEDs.

11. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

and it has an IPS panel, which basically arsef**ks your standard plane jane TN panel'd LCD.