The "wrong" kind of RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by redchiz, Jul 26, 2010.

1. redchiz macrumors newbie

I decided to upgrade the RAM on my MacBook from 2GB to 4 and duly bought some online. I was careful to make sure the spec was correct and when the units arrived they were the same shape/size as my current RAM and stickered accordingly.

Having successfully installed them I went to check on the system profiler, which tells me that they are 1333Mhz instead of the 1066 that they should be.

I have contacted the vendor and am awaiting a reply. But as all appears to be working well, should I have cause for concern?

2. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Usually you will see problems right away or within first few days. If you have none it means parts are compatible. As a reference I used to have a 2.4GHz aluMB just like yours and it ran 8GB of Samsung PC3 1333 in Snow Leopard without any problems whatsoever.

3. redchiz thread starter macrumors newbie

That's reassuring, thank you. And Photoshop is zipping along rather nicely...:)

4. skorada123 macrumors newbie

As Synchromesh said above, if anything does go wrong, it usually will happen pretty early. I had a similar issue when I upgraded my RAM, but nothing happened the first few days, and it's been pretty smooth for the past year and half. If anything you have a warranty on the RAM right?

5. redchiz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it comes with the usual "lifetime" warranty.

I have heard back from the vendor now, they are prepared to replace it, but I have to pay for return shipping. Seeing as they are in US and I am in UK it hardly seems worth the trouble and cost if the current sticks are working OK.

6. wmw71190 macrumors member

I wouldn't worry about it. RAM is capable of running at slower speeds, so its just as if you aren't using the full capability of the sticks. The only reason to return is if you face some sort of problem or you paid more for these then you would for the other ones.