Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mirai 11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Now then, its been nearly 3 years since i've been a Mac User, and up to now I've still had the 1st gen of the intel 20 inch iMac, but now it is starting to show its age and I think now its time for an upgrade.
Ive been thinkin of what would best suit me for a while, and i figured that as I get around, and i dont like to just use the mac in one space in the room and to just stay there, i want to carry it around, so Ive decided on the high end Macbook or low end Macbook Pro.
I use it for everyday things, like iTunes for its purpose and iPhone, all the iLife apps except for iWeb and iDVD, but its mainly iPhoto and Garageband i use as well.
Internet like Safari, Adium, Transmission, and the iTunes Store, and the only games i'd want to play are the classic Mega Drive games i have on an emulator (I do own them all myself of what I play, so no worries ;) ) and Steam, like Team Fortress.
I'd want to use it wherever i go, and when im home, I'd want to have it docked and for it to connect to an external display, 13 or 15 inch display for on the go would suit me fine.
What I'm asking for is opinions on this, is it the best way to go? Is the low end macbook pro worth that extra two hundred from the high end macbook?
And also, I'd want to sell the iMac towards it, but I guess I wouldnt get much for it, possibly £450 at best.
I just want to hear anyone's opinions and advice if this is the best way to go, and what would you pick?
Many Thanks

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
Definitely the MBP, better graphics and a better screen (better, as well as bigger). It will last longer too, not physically, but will be able to cope with future OS advances better.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
what spec is your imac (coreduo 2.0 or something?), it may be able to survive a little longer with a ram upgrade etc.

Assuming that you want a new machine, it is indeed a good idea to go for a portable. For your stated usage, there really isn't much better than a laptop, you probably wouldn't even need the larger screen.

The smaller macbook is a good idea, as it is pretty much the same as the pro (minus dedicated graphics although its chip is far from slow when compared to the previous gen intel ones).

IMHO, id keep the imac for anything tht you wanted a big screen for (movies etc) and buy a macbook

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Get the 2.0GHz MacBook. Don't waste your money on the more expensive 2.4Ghz version because it is only slightly more powerful.

I can testify that Source engine games like TF2 and HL2 run great on my MacBook.

Mirai 11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
I upgraded the memory not long after i bought it, went from 512mb to 1.5GB
I've only just downloaded team fortress 2 by using crossover, and it works flawless, couldnt believe it lol
But from this, from a radeon x1600 to a geforce 9400M, i'd be using a couple generations newer graphics card, and a different manufacturer as well, so the performance, even though it runs great now, will run the same if not better even though it will be going to a notebook.
I'd want the 2.4GHZ Macbook just so its that little extra future proof, no matter what small updates there may be in a couple months

ButtUglyJeff

macrumors 6502a
The only improvement the 2.4 MBP would really offer you is a vastly improved screen/graphics, 4GB RAM, and a FW800 port, which might be important to you. FYI Apple has the 2.4 MBP in the refurb store for $1699........

edit - I just checked Apple.com, and the 2.4 only has 2GB of RAM, the highter end ones have 4GB

Mirai 11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
true, the only thing ive noticed from lookin in shops, is that the macbook screen seems to have slightly less detail than from the pro, but im sure that' only a minor setback.
Also, im in the UK, and i have seen a refurbished 15 inch pro for £1149 i think.. but is carrying a 15 inch laptop really portable?

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
I upgraded the memory not long after i bought it, went from 512mb to 1.5GB
I've only just downloaded team fortress 2 by using crossover, and it works flawless, couldnt believe it lol
But from this, from a radeon x1600 to a geforce 9400M, i'd be using a couple generations newer graphics card, and a different manufacturer as well, so the performance, even though it runs great now, will run the same if not better even though it will be going to a notebook.
I'd want the 2.4GHZ Macbook just so its that little extra future proof, no matter what small updates there may be in a couple months

as far as i can tell there really isn't much point in going for the higher model. I have a 2 GHz macbook and 2.33 Ghz macbook pro and for day to day stuff there is no difference whatsoever. Also, both of these machines are now over 2 years old and are still very very usable.

put the extra cash towards a ram/HD upgrade and applecare, thats the wise move

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
true, the only thing ive noticed from lookin in shops, is that the macbook screen seems to have slightly less detail than from the pro, but im sure that' only a minor setback.
Also, im in the UK, and i have seen a refurbished 15 inch pro for £1149 i think.. but is carrying a 15 inch laptop really portable?

the older macbook pros are ace machines, and can also be bought with a matt screen (only an issue for some - myself included), however although they can be taken from place to place, in my two years of ownership I have taken it to a coffee shop once and it was hassle (to me, their footprint to thickness ratio left me less than comfortable carrying them around, especially as everyone i know who has one has had to have the superdrive replaced because of the bending issue).

Mirai 11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
I've seen some great docks, is there a uk site that sells some good docks? i'd really appreciate that.
Also, i do want to hook it up to an external display, would it be compatible with all displays, as long as ive got the mini-dvi adapter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.