The Yo-Yo Has Had Ups and Downs, But It's Far From End of Its String

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by spaceboots06, Aug 3, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I didn't know Yo-Yoing was so bad for one's health. The first image on the site is almost interesting.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124778820675954809.html

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Thanks for posting that...an interesting read. I'm not very good at all at yoyoing, but it is quite fun. I'd love to learn some neat tricks.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Yo-yos are pretty cool. The people who can control them and do all those fancy tricks are very, very talented. But like all sports like these, there are risks associated, and it seems as though the yo-ers (new term :D) are prepared for that.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well I was going to say that it this is not surprising as it was a weapon in the Philippines. Before posting I wanted to verify this and found that[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] this topic is still up for debate. It may not have been used as a hunting weapon after all.

I am surprised someone has not devised a finger protection system for pro Yo Yo-ists. Like an inch wide leather strap to spread out the force of the string to prevent index finger numbness.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Given the travails noted in the story, just call 'em Yo-yos!
    Like, way ta go ya yo-yo!

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I love (cheap, amateur) yo-yos! I am a sucker for a new one any time I see one in a shop. I take it home, try it out, try out all my other ones, put them back in the box I keep them in, once in awhile give them all away to some kid in the family and start my collection over. For me I guess it's more like a collection of arrowheads or stream-polished pebbles than an array of functional yo-yos, even if they do (sorta) work.

Right now I have a green one, an orange one and a pink one with shiny holographic diamonds and the letter L (for liz!) on the sides. I imagine the total cost of this precious lot is about five bucks, so in the Wall Street Journal piece I was pretty impressed by the prices cited.

The idea of a string snapping certainly gives me pause. I mean of course one could snap, just never has done here, so far... {looks around at glass-fronted bookcase, windows}

Thanks for posting the piece. :) Makes me want to get one really good yo-yo and try it out (but not enough to get "pro" finger injuries :eek:

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Not just the Philippines! Anyone here old enough to have played Goonies II on the NES? ;)

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I love to yo. I have a walnut-wood one my dad bought me ages ago at some woodworking fair (it was turned while he waited). Beautifully balanced, shaped and fits perfect in my hand. Playing with a yo-yo has got some kind of mental drug-like effect to it... it's addicting.

Thx for posting the story :)

9. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Ha! I'm going to have to buy myself another yo-yo after reading this story. Thanks for sharing.

The last yo-yo I had was in grade school/early high school. It was one that lit up when you spun it. I dropped it too many times and it wouldn't spin properly anymore. I hit myself in the face before....but it was a light plastic one. I can't imagine what would happen with those sharp edge metal ones.

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

In the 007 movie Octopussy there was a villain who used a yo-yo as a weapon. If Bond had been a split second late in dodging the attack, he would have had a splitting headache.:D

11. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato