Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Road-Kill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
this thing called the ZiphoneGui seems to kinda work on the iphone that it jailbreaks it with out downgrading.
By any chance has any one tried in their touch to confim or atleast see if it works on it?
And what is it exactly.

pab277

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
i jailbroke my 8GB iPod Touch yesterday using ZiPhone.

I was on 1.1.3 with the purchased iPhone apps, and all i had to do was put the ipod in restore mode, reject iTunes wishes of restoring it, then opened ZiPhone, check the box that said jailbreak, and i was jailbroken in under 5 min.
plus, i got to keep all my music,photos,contact,webclips,etc. without resyncing everything.

UPDATE: today, i am currently not jailbroken anymore, because my iPod froze up while trying to install an app, and it turned off and wouldn't let me go into my home screen, jus the apple logo. i was forced to restore. but all was good before i tried to install a game (guitar hero)

all in all, i liked having installer, for the whole one day i had it. hehe.

EDIT: ZiPhone is yet suggested to be used by 16GB iPod Touches.

jbarr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
I used ZiPhone on my v1.1.3 8GB IPT, and have had no issues. So far, everything I've installed has worked like a charm. Then again, I've been keeping it pretty lean as far as additional programs, because I want the focus to be the Wikipedia application (which was not installed through Installer.app)

davidy

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
i jailbroke my 8GB iPod Touch yesterday using ZiPhone.

I was on 1.1.3 with the purchased iPhone apps, and all i had to do was put the ipod in restore mode, reject iTunes wishes of restoring it, then opened ZiPhone, check the box that said jailbreak, and i was jailbroken in under 5 min.
plus, i got to keep all my music,photos,contact,webclips,etc. without resyncing everything.

UPDATE: today, i am currently not jailbroken anymore, because my iPod froze up while trying to install an app, and it turned off and wouldn't let me go into my home screen, jus the apple logo. i was forced to restore. but all was good before i tried to install a game (guitar hero)

all in all, i liked having installer, for the whole one day i had it. hehe.

EDIT: ZiPhone is yet suggested to be used by 16GB iPod Touches.

As others have found out, jailbroken = broken

jbarr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
This is true--just like so many other hacking endeavors. But isn't that part of both the risk and excitement about working with the bleeding-edge of technology? I personally believe that Jailbreaking is an excellent illustration why Apple wants to keep such tight control on the third-party application process. Introducing something that is not 100% bullet-proof can present HUGE support issues for Apple. From a corporate perspective, the ultimate product is one that requires zero support. The act of Jailbreaking as well as managing a Jailbroken device places it way outside that realm.

And don't get me wrong, there's certainly nothing wrong with a "stock" IPT. As a media player, it is very, very slick device. But as a PDA, it falls short in many areas, yet it has so much potential that we don't yet see being tapped. Will Apple provide firmware updates that will propel it ahead of the competition? Will the SDK result in affordable applications that will make the IPT the killer PDA for the 21st century? Only time will tell.

davidy...love your .sig!!!

KFCTR

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007

Jailbroken does not = broken
You just need to be careful about what you install

Few things that make 1.1.3 crash -

1. Guitar Hero mod for TTR
2. Using Ants application while playing iPhysics
3. Downloading eBooks
4. NOT removing apps from OS partition of drive. (Use Bosstools)
5. Using old custimize

I'll try to find more stuff that makes 1.1.3 crash, but watch out for these things for now.

davidy

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Jailbroken does not = broken
You just need to be careful about what you install

There are dozens of posts on the forum from people who used jalebrake or other hacking procedures and whose Touches no longer work as they should.

Where I come from, when something doesn't work as it should, it is broken.

I should stress that I really don't care what anyone does with their own property, such as an iPod Touch, but it is rather tiresome listening to them moan about how their iPod doesn't work any more, and expecting someone else to bail them out by fixing their mistakes.

Road-Kill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
help

can anyone actually give me details steps to do it the keys and eveything

jbarr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
I should stress that I really don't care what anyone does with their own property, such as an iPod Touch, but it is rather tiresome listening to them moan about how their iPod doesn't work any more, and expecting someone else to bail them out by fixing their mistakes.

I hear ya, but go to just about any Palm PDA forum, motorcycle forum, car forum, ReplayTV forum, or any other forum that deals with modding or hacking something, and you'll hear the same moaning. Same game, different ballpark.

davidy

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
I hear ya, but go to just about any Palm PDA forum, motorcycle forum, car forum, ReplayTV forum, or any other forum that deals with modding or hacking something, and you'll hear the same moaning. Same game, different ballpark.

I agree, however, in most instances, I think that people modifying a product at least try to learn a little about the thing they're modifying.

I wonder how many people posting here (other than me) have actually read the Touch Operator's Manual?

KFCTR

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
There are dozens of posts on the forum from people who used jalebrake or other hacking procedures and whose Touches no longer work as they should.

Where I come from, when something doesn't work as it should, it is broken.

I have officially jailbroken my iPod 45 times and messed it up each time. After a couple restores, it still works like it always has. Every jailbreak problem can be fixed till date

vegas-steven

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
check out this youtube video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G9IYRfDel8U

You can then go along with the person in the video, step by step.
I did it, it works fine. I then downloaded the $20 app package from installer and the touch looks identical to the retail version with the exception of the installer icon.

APPARENTLY, THIS METHOD DOES NOT WORK WITH 16 OR 32 GIG MODELS... just so you know.

Ollie1216

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
KFCTR,

"It's a BOMB!!!"
"Cut the blue wire"
"There all blue!"

Dude,
Check out the difference between There, Their and They're

davidy

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
I have officially jailbroken my iPod 45 times and messed it up each time. After a couple restores, it still works like it always has. Every jailbreak problem can be fixed till date

I can't tell from this whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with me. You did it 45 times and broke it each time. Therefore when you jailbroke it you broke it. You say every problem can be fixed by restoring and removing the jailbrake. So, you can't jailbrake it without breaking it.

Q.E.D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.