The Zune is dead! Lessons for Apple Competitors

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vrDrew, Mar 14, 2011.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Beloved by Microsoft loyalists, news is leaking out that the much-derided Zune is no more.

But what's even more interesting, is to take a gander at a little comparison by the same Tech website of the Zune HD and the iPod Touch did in late 2009. After declaring the Zune the "overall winner" the authors went on to say:

Lesson: Apps matter.

If Microsoft (one of the biggest and richest companies in the world) couldn't compete with a product that was arguably cheaper and performed better than the Apple iPod, how precisely does Motorola expect to compete with a product that is more expensive and worse performing than ITS Apple rival?

2. profets macrumors 68040

The Zune is not dead, its really just living on as Windows Phone 7. It was pretty obvious that actual Zune hardware was going to be replaced with mobiles running WP7.

3. cocoseng macrumors newbie

I agree. It seems pretty apparent that MSFT is going back to what they do best, sticking to software.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

6. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Android isn't doomed, even though you might hope and pray that examining Zune's entrails will give you a sign.

Competition is good. Live with it.

7. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

It's the first time an Apple product is cheaper, it's more for less.

8. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

Zune HD was dead on arrival.
    I was really interested in it but Microsoft abandon support for it the minute they released it.

9. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I have the original Zune, which I bought in lieu of an iPod video, and I'm actually pretty happy with it. The hardware is indestructible and it is good at playing videos. Ironically the software is the worst thing about it. Although after getting the iPad I wish I was introduced to Apple products earlier.

>and yes, I still use the Zune as my everyday MP3 player. I'm not even embarassed to be seen with it because I got the white one that looks like an iPod :)

10. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I really did like my Zune HD a lot. I used it a ton. However, it definitely was the lack of apps that made me give up on it and buy my iPhone last year. I admit that I did try the iPod Touch a couple of years ago, but there were too many apps that I liked that required some sort of internet connection, so I returned the Touch and stayed with the Zune until I got my iPhone 3G. Now I am addicted to Apple - at least my i4 and iPad 2 - and couldn't not have them any more.

11. zenio macrumors 6502

More specifically it's good FART Apps that matter.

If you can entertain the easily excited little boys, you've got it made.