The Zune is Dead: RIP

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ten-oak-druid, Mar 14, 2011.

1. ten-oak-druid macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. Big Dawg 23 macrumors regular

I considered a Zune at one time but in the end it's nothing like my iTouches, iPad or iPhone.

4. Bubba Satori, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2011

Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

And Courier and Window's Phone and...

Zune was a nice MP3 player marketed by the company led by worst CEO in recent memory.

That's true. In some respects the Zune was better than the iPod. Go figure.

5. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I considered it just because I was getting bored of iPods. Then I got an iPhone. Boy did i make the right decision there.

6. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Never forget that the zune brought us this:

[​IMG]

I still find it a little disturbing but I think it's also possibly the single funniest thing I've ever seen involving Microsoft.

7. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

You mean the mobile phone which was dead before Zune?

8. McBeats macrumors 6502a

I can't help but to think about all the wasted money in R&D, marketing, and manufacturing; It would have been more useful to just give it some homeless people for their booze/drug addiction.

9. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Too bad. The Zunes were the best consumer music players.

10. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Yeah, that's why they weren't, and are no longer, being consumed. :rolleyes:

11. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

I was bought a dysentry beige origonal zune, it does 3 (kinda 4) things that i wish the iPhone i now use for everything did.

1.) physical controls for playback, i know :apple: want as few buttons as possible, but when its pouring down, and im wrapped up and the player is in my jacket pocket, i want to be able to press next track, pause, play, etc.

Not something thats ever going to be added to an i device, so im stuck with "inline" controls and a crappy headset.

2.) WI FI SYNC... come on :apple: , really !!!!! its the future already.

3.) battery life, (this ones apples and oranges really , as the zune was not also running a phone in the background, but i would still like a slightly thicker , heavier iPhone if it meant the battery lasted past 4pm in my day without charging)

and 4. is kinda not the zune itself, but the optional zune remote,. SO much better than the :apple: remote... i want more than play/pause back and navigation on a controler for my apple TV,

things i wont miss, the small screen, the dysentry beige colour scheme, the clunky software, and the useless music store..

12. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

This gives a whole new meaning to "welcome to the social" :eek:

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Squirting my girlfriend just won't be the same anymore.

14. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

True. When I Microsoft Fanboy talks about that I also remind them that Mac OS X is better than Windows. Telling them they can understand how Mac users feel about market share. It doesn't always mean the right product won.

15. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Audiophiles report the Zune to be a much better sounding player that iPods.

16. Jayrcee macrumors regular

Jayrcee

17. penfan82 macrumors regular

Although i heard on a tech podcast that they are going to use the zune software for other things in the works for microsoft

18. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

The only good thing about the Zune was the software you needed to use one. So much better than iTunes in my opinion, if only there was a mac version :(

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

Zune HD are very good more mp3 players if you ever tried them. Very well-built and the OLED screen is very nice. This is not surprising since Zune will just live on with WP7 phones.

If you can find a good deal on Amazon, it offers more value than an iPod nano at near the same price. The Zune software is also very nice visually and far more stable on my PC than iTunes (no surprise!). I just wished it had external speakers.

If I can find a new Zune HD (32 GB) for under $150, I may just pick one up. I see 16 GB going for $100-$125 on CL sometimes. I will use it more for a dedicated music player with nice software and not the best portable media player that the iPod touch are known for.

20. jon3543, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

jon3543 macrumors 6502

Audiophiles will also tell you they prefer a $500 power cord to a $400 power cord and why, using all sorts of flowery language... as long as they know which one they're "listening" to.

21. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I'm sure they're also pining for their record collection.

22. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Just started using Home Sharing (part of the iOS 4.3 update). Amazing, my whole music collection via WiFi from my PC (running iTunes) on all my iOS devices.

23. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

It's kind of a shame, it was a decent looking product, with almost non-existent marketing.

Maybe they intended for this to happen, so they could intrgrate it better into WP7, sort of like how a lot of people ditch their iPods after buying an iPhone.

24. Savor Suspended

Savor