Theft Protection?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sexiewasd, Mar 14, 2012.

1. sexiewasd macrumors regular

I've just bought a 11" 2011 Macbook air to use for iOS and web development and I would like to be prepared in the case that it gets stolen so that I might be able to retrieve it.

This is what I've been able to do so far,

#1. I've paid for a subscription to Prey. That covers a lot of the bases.

#2. I've also set a guest account and restricted it from changing any important settings.

#3. I've got VNC and SSH access, with no-ip.com's client running, and set it to auto connect to open wifi networks.

#4. This is more to protect it from me more than anything, but I've bought a licence for Deep Freeze (I've already managed to nuke it a few times even with deep freeze.)

#5. I password protected the efi boot menu.

#6. I set the wallpaper to pictures of pretty ladies.

Any other ideas on what I can do to protect it from theft (besides ideas like, don't leave it on the bus)? I would like a keylogger installed and ready to be activated, but I can't seam to find one that looks credible. I would also like to be able to monitor the microphone over the internet, but I can't find a way to do that either. I don't trust that Prey's geo-ip is accurate enough to help much, and the camera if they are smart would be covered first thing so I feel like more may be needed.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

None of the things you mention do anything to "protect" against theft.

3. sexiewasd thread starter macrumors regular

Your right. I think i wrote that incorrectly, but software to help recover it after it's already been stolen.

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

there is an application called undercover. Check it out. It helps you retrieve your mac portable through several ways. I have it myself, but yet did not need it.

You can also look at this. http://macbracket.com/photographies
    combined with a kensington lock cable, its not very easy to steal

5. whiteonline, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

First you need to evaluate which is more valuable: your data or the machine.

Personally, my data (email, tax files, etc) is more valuable. This is why I use Filevault 2. Unfortunately, this renders recovery software mostly useless, but that's something I'm willing to accept.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I absolutely agree with this comment, and I was about to write something nearly identical. I honestly do not care if I recover a $1K laptop. For me, that is an expendable item. My data, and my identity is the core value.

I also use FV2... and whenever I need to leave my laptop unattended (ex: in a hotel room), then I shut down the computer so that it is left in an encrypted state.

/Jim

7. sexiewasd thread starter macrumors regular

My important data isn't kept on the laptop. I have an encrypted USB flash drive that I store my important data on. Except for the web design, that data is kept online and checked out when needed, then reuploaded. Deep Freeze takes care to erase any traces left behind every time I restart.

While the data is obviously the most important thing, I would like to protect the hardware as well. I've become attached to this little machine, and coding in bed, and outside, and at friends, and watching Jon Stewart in the kitchen (While i'm in the kitchen, not Jon Stewart in the kitchen, although that might be a fun cooking show...), and at the laundry. If it gets stolen then I'm stuck back at the (Windows 7) desktop until it's replaced. I don't like like the desktop, not now that I've had freedom, besides I've used my last Aperture Laboratories sticker on it.

8. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

OP; sounds like you have a pretty good plan in place then. Hopefully you don't need to resort to any of it of course. :)

I wouldn't worry about the other stuff (mic monitoring, etc). Sounds like your billable hours searching for a solution would quickly exceed the value of the machine itself.

Cheers!