Theft Recovery Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LethalUK, Apr 17, 2010.

1. LethalUK macrumors member

Hi, I'm looking into purchasing some of this. Which is the best to buy? Undercover 4?

Thanks!

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I've never purchased any of this because a savvy thief won't connect the laptop or desktop to the internet until that machine's hard drive has been wiped clean. You're better off encrypting your personal documents and reporting the serial number to the police in the event that it's stolen.

3. LethalUK thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I did think about that but I always thought it might be worth a shot when trying to get my Mac back. It doesn't really have that many important things on it, and never will (everything is on MobileMe iDisk etc), but I just thought I could try to get it back.

I was just thinking about protecting against more 'local' thief's, or thief's who aren't that savy as there are probably still some around.

A 'Find My Mac' from Apple would be good.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Undercover is the one I hear about most. While a tech-savvy thief may wipe the drive before connecting to the net, most thieves will just sell off the machine without ever even trying to power it on. Then the poor sap who buys it gets to deal with the police. Never buy a computer on a street corner, hint hint.

5. LethalUK thread starter macrumors member

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Most thieves aren't savvy and will just try to resell it ASAP. This whole fear of the hard drive being wiped is irrational. It just doesn't happen most of the time.

Reporting the serial number to the police
    a) is useless in of itself
    b) is done automatically by Undercover as well as giving the police a method to locate a stolen machine.

Undercover is great. Orbicule helped the police recover my stolen MBP.

7. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

You might also be interested in Prey Project:

http://preyproject.com/

Its an open-source version of Undercover.

8. bully worm macrumors regular

Thank you so much for this sir. You deserve an e-cookie.

[​IMG]