Them iPhone Moments

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattpreston11, Jun 27, 2008.

1. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Those times that the iphone was just made for, you know what i mean.

i havent got mine at the moment, sold it a few weeks back but obviously getting the new one in 2 weeks.

But yesterday i was in sheffield city centre, never been there before and i parked my car, diddnt have a clue where we were and i thought, if i had the new iphone i would deffinately use the gps and maps and drop a pin and bookmark this spot where my car was so i could come back to it later easier.

We then walked around not knowing where we were on the map (if only i had the iphone it would have been ideal)

and sure enough later on when i had to go put a new ticket on my car it took me 25 minutes to find it as i walked up and down every street (they all look the bloody same..) until i found my car.

Plus i was very bored throughout the day, i wish i could have just gone on the internet on my travels but my phone doesnt do that :(

anyone else got any times or time where it really would have helped?

2. Jowl macrumors 6502

Ha, I'm from Sheffield - though I try not to go into the city centre :D

But I know what you mean about iPhone moments. We were recently looking for a new car for our lass. We'd seen a couple at various garages and even some private sales at the side of the road. Would have been really handy to just log on to Autotrader or other websites to check out the true value of the car, insurance, tax etc.

Oh well, the 11th gets closer every day!

(although we've bought a car now!)

3. ogdogg macrumors 6502

My iPhone moment

While sitting at the bar I whip out my iPhone to check a text message. A hottie WAY out of my league passing by stops and says, "Is that the new iPhone?"

I reply, "Why yes it is. Would you like to see it?"

The next morning as we woke up I said, "Now if the iPhone could only make breakfast..."

We had a good laugh. My best iPhone moment yet.

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

are u serious, nice. although i would be kind of worried if i had to resort to the type of chicks that were picked up by my phone

5. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

...then you woke up, with your nokia 3110 on your lap and ALOT of used kleenex....

6. ogdogg macrumors 6502

You wouldn't be worried if you saw the girl. I get more butts then ashtrays my friend, no need to "resort" to anything.

7. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

If you'd had virtually any other smartphone released in the last year other than the iPhone you could have done that already.

8. newyorksole macrumors 68030

The other day a Denny's commercial came on tv. I said that we all need to go there for breakfast one day. My friend was like "there are no Denny's on long island or in new york period, only down south". I was like "so why would there be an ad on TV in NY?". Then he said well you have an iPhone, search for a Denny's. I took it out, searched for a Denny's and lo and behold, no Denny's in NY lol. I just laughed about it, but yeah the iPhone can also be used for your downfall.

9. elbirth macrumors 65816

there are plenty of times I'm in a situation where I wish I had the iPhone (but I had made up my mind at the original launch that I would stand strong and wait for the 2nd generation, and now I only have a couple weeks left)

Just a couple examples include being out at a mall or something and deciding to go to a certain restaurant to eat. Normally they'll have really long waits, so with the iPhone I could load up Google Maps, find the restaurant, and call them to put my name on the list before I get there and see how long the wait is. Or I could be in a discussion with someone and a topic comes up where there's some piece of information we want to find out or verify. etc..
    Sure those are 2 things can be done on most any smartphone, and I can even do something as simple as call 1-800-GOOG-411 to find the number to a restaurant. But that's beside the point.

And as for picking up girls with the iPhone. I have a friend that has told me countless stories where he'd be out in public doing something on his iPhone and girls would approach him to ask about his phone and want to play with it (this happened incredibly often for the first few months after it initially launched, but still happens here and there even now). I don't think he's ever tried to get laid with it, but I find it pretty amusing that it seems to be so useful as a conversation starter. Although I admit, one time last month I was in a bar in New York around 2am and a girl I was chatting with whipped out her iPhone to view a text message and we shifted to talking about it... she showed me some photos she had on it, etc. Somehow her owning an iPhone was strangely attractive.

10. ogdogg macrumors 6502

That's the trick. Once the interest is there, you gotta be able to close the deal. Pictures of my "cute" dog and house/pool made her really want to come back home with me and see them first hand. Something tells me it wouldn't be as easy pulling out the blackberry and saying, "Look at my pictures, I have a house and cute dogs."

Not that I'm advising people to get the iPhone to try and mack chicks. I'm just saying that it happens on it's own. Sort of like buying a sports car because you want to drive fast. ;)

PS, the below poster is obviously a virgin.

11. touchyphone macrumors regular

Not for nothing, that the biggest load of BS I have ever heard. There's no way this ever took place ever, you never said those things, you never met a girl. That was such a lie and made me laugh, and please your 'more butt than ashtrays' was a line from Notoriuos BIG in the 90's, get a new line my friend it's 08, total BS. Lie about getting some tail shame on you. You can say whatever you want, thats BS everyone reading it would know that, you should not lie.

12. Asar macrumors regular

they have denny's in michigan, so its not just down south ;)

13. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I see Sonic commercials all the time on TV, yet I have never seen a Sonic in Southern California.

14. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Thats funny :).

Even we up here in Washington State have a few...i just had a Pineapple shake last night...YUM!!!:rolleyes:

15. elbirth macrumors 65816

yeah, the iPhone interface just makes it much more appealing, especially with the whole swiping back and forth of the pictures. and somehow that translates into the interaction with the other person. In this case, the girl was a photographer and me also being one, we were discussing that and she was showing me some photos she had taken and put on her iPhone. Some happened to be... well, some semi erotic self portraits, and she was very happy to use the pinching method to zoom in on certain photos for me... lol
    I'm actually about 90% sure I could have taken her back to my hotel that night, as judging from our conversation she seemed to be a pretty "open" individual, if you catch my drift. Plus she commented on how she lived within a few blocks of my hotel and how she had heard the rooms there were nice, etc, etc. Picking up random girls for sex just isn't my thing though, and she certainly didn't seem like potential relationship material. Besides, I live a good 500 miles from there, and not like I was out looking. She did give me her number and email address though.

Now if I can just get my iPhone 3G and use it to find myself a nice wholesome girl ;)

16. mynameisrichard macrumors member

You haven't seen a Sonic's in Southern California because you're from SD. In Orange County, we have one. It's not as good as the ones in Nevada or anything, but we have one so at least I have bragging rights. hahah

17. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I always see sonic commercials and haven't seen one on long island or NYC.

The iPhone community is so much different than other phone communities. When I see someone with an iPhone I'm like "oohh they have one". But like when I see blackberrys I don't think anything of it or I say "typical businessman".

And the iPhone is easily spotted. You notice that brushed metal back or 3.5 inch screen from a mile away.

18. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Kind of a GPS noob here, so bear with me

Is the iPhone's GPS so accurate that you could actually pin your car on the parking lot and find it just by using the screen? That'd have to be accurate to within 10 ft (3m) or so.

Same thing here. Last year when we went on vacation to Florida they had a CiCi's Pizza and I really liked their unique pizza toppings. So I got excited when I saw commercials for CiCi's Pizza here in California, but I look them up and the closest ones are in Phoenix and some town in Nevada (not Vegas I don't think). :(

I see Sonic ads too, but the closest one is in Anaheim and I'm in Riverside. Closer than CiCi's, but I'm not driving all that way just for Sonic.

19. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

My iPhone moment occurred yesterday when I accompanied my sister house hunting. We were with her realtor, who had sent me property listings on my phone, and we needed an address to a house she had emailed me.

I used my phone to check my email, look at pictures of the house, but used my car GPS to find the house, though.

I truly enjoy using my phone and my sister, who has no interest in technology, was really impressed:)

Jude

20. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

there's a denny's in Binghamton, NY unless you mean no denny's in NYC or LI

21. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Easy there. I assumed he was joking. Or is just trying to look cool to people he doesn't know on the internet. Kinda hoping the former.

22. newyorksole macrumors 68030

yeah I meant LIxNYC

23. randomusername macrumors 6502

Pointless to the thread, but there is a Denny's over here in Upstate (it's southern NY, don't ask me why it's called Upstate) New York and we have a Denny's.

24. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

there is a denny's in newburgh (sp) i go there after i play paintball:cool:

25. crazychris3992 macrumors member

crazychris3992

Like Dave Chappelle says, "it's bait for women." :p