Theme Music??

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Illmetaphor, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Illmetaphor macrumors member

I'm looking for some good theme music for the opening intro of this football video Im making. Anyone know some websites for free downloading. I kind of want like a horror/intimidation theme

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Do a Google for "Creative Commons" (with the quotes)

Lots of people publish using this license. It allows for others to freely re-use the work.

The other thing to do is to know clasical music or know someone who does. Then get the sheet music or midi file, and get it into garage band or Loic and have at it with the midi editor

I've done some exeriments where I took a "Mozart for Easy Piano" book, got one of the theams into GB as a midi files then used the editor to duplicate the track several times. then change the tracks around, took out bars and added repeats to make the timming come out right. Sounded not so great becuase I'm not very skilled at this kind of thing but the music goes under some other audio tracks and is just one part of the mix and the video is the big thing so "good enough" for an amatuer production.

One other idea is to use something like "Band in a Box" to compose something for you.

3. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I'm not sure what this Creative Commons is that ChrisA is referring to, but if you're allowed to, I think Led Zeppelin's Kashmir would be great for this use. The intro to Kashmir has a very "big/important/intimidating" feel to it.

I guess the question is whether you're allowed to use LZ's work for what you're doing.

ft

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

No, you could NOT use any LZ recording unless it was purely for showing in your own house. If you were to show your film around or even post it to the Internet you'd be in very obvious violation of copyright. Maybe you'd never get caught but that is a different issue. It's a clear and obvious violation of copyright.

Copyright aside. You really don't want to use familiar music that people might know. Doing so takes away from your own work

"Creative Commons". Is the name for a license that an artist might choose to use. Many artists do choose it. They will publish their work under the license which specifically allows and gives permission to re-use the work.

My suggestions were to either
    1. Use music that has long ago entered into public domain
    2. Use music where the artist has given permission via a non-restrictive license
    3. write your own music, maybe with the help of some software.

Read more about Creative Commons here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons

5. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Or hire a film composer such as forum member pkoch1. I've heard he's great!