Theming OS X 10.9?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by MacDude21, Mar 1, 2014.

1. MacDude21 macrumors regular

I'm going to be getting a new computer very, very soon. But because I've been on Snow Leopard for so long, and how much I've grown to love all the blue stuff(Especially those scrollbars!) I don't want to loose that with my new computer. So, is there a way I could re-theme OSX 10.9 to look more like 10.6? I've looked at Flavours but it costs $20, and I spent all of my cash on my new computer. I could manually change the files myself, and I have experience with computers, given instructions.
    Please quote me when responding.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think theming on OSX is pretty sparse and other then hacking some of the system resources there's not much you can do. If memory serves me, even popular candy bar app is a shell of its former self due to system changes.

3. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Apple hated Kaleidoscope (System 8.5) and has put a major effort into preventing that sort of interface hijinx since back in the 90's.

4. MacDude21 thread starter macrumors regular

._. What's apple's problem?
    But seriously, I'm not going to loose the scrollbars and other more round buttons. I love them so much. My computer is already a Hackintosh, so I'm definitely okay with modifying it.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think historically most of these system hacks caused instability and that is likely why Apple has tried to make it tough to use them.

6. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

7. MacDude21 thread starter macrumors regular

First of all, thank you blakeasd, and second of all, how does a theme cause instability? I know Windows and other OSes handle themes just fine.

8. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

They're overly fond of Garish wallpapers and don't want user interface to intrude on them? ;)
    Op art would be a step up from some of the things Cupertino finds pleasing in desktop attire.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mostly because they go into system files and container files for the system and make changes, something that Apple did not intend to do. I think there is some control issues going on as well. The older apps back in the day would install some middleware product that helped facilitate the changing of themes but that mostly caused performance issues and instability.

Windows is a completely different animal, it handles its GUI elements completely different and was more open to allowing developers to change the look and feel of the OS, Apple is not thus its much harder to do.

There was a burgeoning theming community until apple slammed the door on them with system changes that all but prevented the use of theming applications

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I see maflynn pretty much answered the question, and I will just add in that theming definitely does cause problems. When Mavericks first came out recently there were a bunch of threads on here from people who installed Mavericks and their Macs were all screwed up. A bunch of those problems ended up being related to a utility that changes the shade of the menu bar to a darker color (I can't recall the name of the utility). Once the utility was removed, Mavericks worked fine.

11. pompomme macrumors newbie

MacDude21 for me you should really buy Flavours. It's easy and there are a lot of themes and updates.

12. mr666 macrumors regular

It is not that Apple intentionally designs the graphics rendering system of recent OS versions to fight theming. It is simply that Apple designs the graphics system for most advanced results, best image. The fact that it doesn't use PNG files and such also makes theming nearly impossible. No one at Apple has been given the project of "Redesign the graphics rendering to stop theming".