Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Samsung is getting into the WQXGA resolution game with it's 305t. Like both the Apple and Dell models it's only input will be a single Dual-Link DVI-D connector. It doesn't say if it's HDCP compliant, but my guess would be yes since the 244t is. Samsung for some reason. Doesn't advertise HDCP copliance. You have to go digging through PDF manuals to find that feature.
Not that the HDCP is going to matter for consumer video devices anyway. Like I stated before it is highly doubtful we will ever see a Dual-Link consumer device as it's overkill for HDTV even at 1080p. And like the Apple and Dell 30inchers this too will lack any other form of analog video inputs. I suspect this is because even component video would look bad at this resolution. Who knows? I know a lot of people are angry they can't use these displays as stand alone HDTV monitors. It would probably be the last one they would ever buy, unless they where going for a dual setup.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
mdavey said:
Don't forget the 4th option: the BenQ FP301W, expected to ship Q4 this year.
You beat me to it. I was just about to post that. Looks like I was also wrong about the analog video inputs too, but how do you drive a Dual-Link display with VGA not to mention the video inputs? Here's another link. Isn't it odd that BenQ has such a similar naming convention to Dell's displays.

DISCOMUNICATION said:
Not that the HDCP is going to matter for consumer video devices anyway. Like I stated before it is highly doubtful we will ever see a Dual-Link consumer device as it's overkill for HDTV even at 1080p.
I stand corrected yet again thanks to this 56" Quad HDTV. 3840 x 2160 native resolution at $10,000 in 2007.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
mdavey said:
Don't forget the 4th option: the BenQ FP301W, expected to ship Q4 this year.

BenQ's policy on stuck pixels is brutal. On 20" screens, you have to exceed something like 18 stuck pixels (sub-pixel, not necessarily all 3 colours) before they will replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.