Theories on iPhone nano.......

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fernandez21, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Fernandez21, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

So there have been a bunch of rumors about a cheaper smaller iPhone being released later this year. So far, to me, they don't make much sence, however the idea of a cheaper iPhone coming out to go up against cheap android phones does make sense. There are two directions I feel make the most sense on how they can accomplish that,

theory 1: its a revamped 3GS. Basically they can release the 3GS with a couple of tweaks (a4 chip, front facing camera, and retina screen found on iPod touch, everything else the same except thinner) and have this as the entry level iPhone. They can have this as free with contract or $299 off contract and just completely dominate that market. If they're smart they could also sttrike a deal with the carriers to where no data plan is required. This I feel would be the best strategy, it keeps the line simple and compatible for the AppStore, and gives them a good product at each price point (free - revamped 3GS, $99 - iPhone 4, $199-299 - iPhone 5)

Theory 2: new phone that is basically an iPod nano (2009 version) with a phone. It wouldn't have a web browser nor any apps, like the iPod nano. It would just sync up with your iTunes music and allow you to make phone calls. This would of course be sold with out data plan. It would be priced free with contract and $199 without. While this kind of device would probably do well, I think apple wants as many people possible to have access to the app store, plus other services apple is now offering (mobile me, iBooks, FaceTime) and something like this would just bypass all of that. So I put this as less likely than theory 1, but I would put this ahead of some of the other rumors of an iPhone with a smaller screen.

So what do you guys think? You have any additional theories of your own?
    Thanks for reading.

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Doesn't make much sense for me either.

You have an iPhone 3gs for $49 on contract. That is just as good of a price as any of the lower end Android phones available. So next summer they price the iPhone 4 at $49 on a 2 year contract and call it a day...

3. naths macrumors 6502

How on earth would you talk into a nano?...its tiny?...lol:p

4. Fernandez21 thread starter macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Lol, my bad, i'm thinking more along the lines of last years nano, not this years. Though you could do it double seven style and talk into your wrist. :p

5. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

I don't see a need for the nano. Why would you need a smaller iPhone. Everything in the smart phone business seems to being going larger, not smaller. I wouldn't want a phone with no on board storage. Streaming everything from a cloud could prove to be too unreliable in certain situations.

6. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I think they'll be two versions of the iPhone 5:

- The nano, with 3.5 inch screen.
    - The normal, with a 3.7 - 4 inch screen. (4 inch can't have "retina," unless they say the with a larger screen, your head is further back, and so the "retina" effect is still there. And, remember at WWDC where they kept on emphasising that 300+ ppi is "retinal," and a 3.7 inch is about 315 ppi, and 3.8 inch is 302 ppi.)

7. Vegaspilot macrumors regular

I like the idea of a revamped 3GS as thus far I have been totally unimpressed with the iPhone 4 build and form factor. The Retina display is nice though.