Theory about iDisk app!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steven Jackson, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

Hi,

Just been wondering about the upcoming iDisk app. Do you think it's possible that it won't be a downloadable app at all, but built into a future firmware update (perhaps the release version of 3.1)?

It could work like the Nike app, which is preinstalled but activated at the choice of the user. This would avoid the necessity of the user entering a username/password and would make it as straightforward as the "Send to MobileMe" option in Photos.

On the other hand, Remote.app isn't built in to the firmware, though it would make sense for it to be so...

Thoughts?

Steve.

2. The General macrumors 601

3. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, that's my theory shattered, then...

Steve.

4. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I signed up for mobileme again today (decided on a different user name) and was looking forward to iDisk'ng.

only to see 'Coming Soon' :rolleyes:

5. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I don't think Apple would want to include something that requires a separate subscription. Without that subscription the app is utterly useless - so I doubt people would appreciate having a useless icon on their home screen.

On a related note, I just noticed that Apple changed the iDisk icon in MobileMe (both on the login page and when you're actually inside MobileMe). Maybe this is a hint that the app is imminent...

6. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

Take a look at the MobileFiles app. I've been using it a long time and it works great. I get full access to the files on my iDisk

7. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

But they do have a MobileMe option in the Photos app... And they do have Nike+ built in. I just think having Remote and iDisk built in would make sense.

Still, the first reply in this thread has more than convinced me that it's going to be a separate app.

Steve.

8. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Yes I did think of Nike+ after I posted. I suppose the difference is that Nike isn't internal, whereas the iDisk is. It's less likely Apple would get ripped for including a Nike application than an application that requires a subscription to Apple. However, as you say, the definitive conclusion to this thread has already been decided by Apple. I just hope the application comes out. I need every app I can get to justify my MobileMe subscription (which I find to be more and more useless as time goes by).

9. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

There was an Apple support article posted (and quickly pulled) that described how to uninstall the iDisk app. It won't be built in; you'll have to get it from the App Store.

If I find the article about it (which has screen shots) I'll post the link.

10. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Except it limits your photos to 800x600. Ridiculous. I can upload full-resolution photos to Flickr but only half-size images to Apple's own image hosting solution. iDisk had better fix this.

11. gemelv macrumors newbie

I don't think so, unless they alter their plans - this is from the Apple website:
    View iDisk files on your iPhone.
    The free iDisk app, available from the App Store in iTunes, lets you view your iDisk files right on your iPhone. Popular file types, such as Microsoft Office and iWork ’09 documents and presentations, PDFs, and more, are viewable in landscape or portrait. Just tap the file to access it and use pinch gestures to zoom in and out. And any file you’ve viewed recently doesn’t need to be reloaded. So if you start reading a document in the cab to the airport, you can quickly resume reading it on the plane.

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I think Apple's iDisk app will require 3.1 due to changes made under the hood in 3.1. I think they're waiting because they're going to make it so that the iPhone 3G can send videos to MobileMe (not record videos, but send videos that they save from emails/MMS etc.)

That's my theory.

13. mrtune macrumors 6502a

14. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass