Theory about the alleged delay for new iPhone hardware

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tarzanman, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

This is just a theory but...

One of the (many) rumors going around is that the release of the new iPhone this year is going to be delayed. There could be any number of reasons but this is what I think:

I think that Apple finally saw the Samsung Galaxy S 2 and decided to go back to the drawing board to adjust the design.

It has happened before. When Samsung saw the iPad 2, they went back and redesigned their new tablet to be just as thin as the iPad2. This could be a similar maneuver for Apple to keep up with the dozens of phones that HTC, LG, Samsung, and Motorola keep churning out every other month.

My prediction is that Apple will eventually have to abandon its yearly refresh cycle. The mobile space is just getting too crowded and the ROI on completely new devices will probably languish.

I also expect Android manufacturers to diversify (Windows mobile, and maybe even WebOS) as they slow their pace of introducing new devices.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Not to be rude, but you clearly don't understand Apple's idea of hardware/software.

It's not a specs game for Apple. It's about creating a great user experience. Apple could sell iPhone 4 til December and have great sales.

3. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the rumors about the delay have been around longer than the galaxy s2...

4. Tarzanman thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, but I fully expect that companies like Apple know what their competitors are working on waaaaaaaay before the knowledge reaches the public.

People talk. Samsung can't fully test devices without help from cell phone carriers or other consultants, and these people will have put eyes on prototype devices. There is a lot that can be said without directly violating the NDA they signed.

"A company in south korea i know is testing a new device that is every bit as thin as yours, with a very advanced screen and interface that will easily rival or surpass anything currently on the market. I saw this device in person a few weeks ago and the approximate timetable for going to market is <XXXX>"

No company makes a final decision on rumors, but Apple might have positioned themselves ahead of time to make hardware revisions if the rumors rang true.

These things happen. I boggles my mind that fan-boys don't think that Apple has to deal with the realities of the market due to some magic ju-ju or something. After all, if they weren't worried about Samsung, then they wouldn't be suing them, now would they?

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Dude stop pontificating inaccurate/useless theories and more importantly stop licking Sammie's butt. It's not like you're even getting paid to do so.

6. solowmodel macrumors 6502

As have been mentioned many times, Apple suing Samsung could be due to any number of reasons, not least including an implicit tactic to further negotiations for who knows what.

Further, I personally doubt Apple will change their yearly recycle timeframe. It works great for them, and iPhones are not sold on specs but rather their overall integration. Further, the hardware is, although not cutting edge at the moment, more than fine.

Finally, I think Steve Job's has too much ego to strategise using game theoretic models trying to guess what others will do, and his confidence means he will stick to his guns, be it for better or worse.

7. Tarzanman thread starter macrumors 65816

I disagree. Apple did that with computers and IBM + the PC ate their lunch for very many years.

I think they've learned that lesson... notice how Macs now use PC hardware?