Theory: Every iPhone 4 has antenna problems...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by econoar, Jun 24, 2010.

1. econoar macrumors regular

I've come to the conclusion that every iPhone 4 probably has the same antenna problems (dropping signal when bottom left corner is covered) but some aren't seeing it due to the strong signal in their area. I love in Boston and when I'm outside, my signal does not drop 1 bar when I try to bridge the antennas. However, when I'm inside my office (and still have 5 bars), my signal drops down to 0-1 bars. My friend who lives in Rhode Island claims that he has the exact same situation. When outside in Providence, he sees nothing, but when inside his office, it drops from 5 to 0-1 bars. He also lives out in a suburb and it drops every time.

I bet those NOT seeing the signal drop are just in higher signal areas, and would have to move out of those areas until they see the signal loss.

It has to be a hardware issue. Data speed tests completely tank when the antenna is covered versus not covered. My prediction is a recall.

Thoughts?

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

I think you are 100% correct.

The only way to tell for sure (or pretty close to it) that phone A does not have the problem is to have it in the exact same spot as a phone B that definitely does have the problem, and then witness that phone A does not have the problem.

3. oilfighter macrumors regular

4. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Mine doesn't at all and I've been in multiple cities and areas since I got it yesterday. There goes your "theory" out the window. :rolleyes:

5. slsl0 macrumors member

Well it most likely also has to do with who, or how you hold your phone normally I agree with the OP but your one of the lucky ones who it doesn't happen to while using

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

Actually, his theory is not out the window until you find a "broken" phone, put it right next to yours and make the other phone exhibit the problem while yours still does not.

There are simply too many variables to be able to determine that a single phone in isolation does not have the problem. By having a phone that clearly exhibits the problem right next to the phone that you want to test, you can at least be reasonably sure that the signal conditions are correct for the problem to occur. Ideally you would do the test in several different locations with both phones.

7. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Yes, this is precisely what I'm seeing. At the Best Buy store, I was at 5 bars and couldn't get it to drop more than 1 bar. On the way home, I held it with my left hand and it went all the way to Searching.

Thankfully, it doesn't happen when I hold it with my right hand and not at all in its case. I want Apple to fix this ASAP, but at least I know I can use my phone without issue until it's fixed.

But yes, a weaker signal seems to be more affected, whereas a very strong signal may not go down at all, or very little.

8. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I've watched all the videos and have tried to even replicate it and nothing has happened at all. And I have large hands so I do touch the phone on both sides while holding it

9. Luddy macrumors member

I know in both spots I have had my phone today I don't have the best coverage to begin with so I probably barely have 5 bars. I have a feeling this is an issue effecting the majority of phones also. But maybe it can be fixed in software like they say. If it is incorrectly tuning the signal or something when some interference is introduced (touching the sweet spot) maybe they can adjust how it compensates or something. I also have no idea what I am talking about but I am trying to keep my glass half full.

10. admanimal macrumors 68040

Do you completely cover the black band on the left side and are you 100% sure that you did this in every single place that you tried the phone and it worked? Did you have full signal in all of these places or less than that?

11. Ganesha macrumors regular

I can't reproduce the problem either. My theory is Steve Jobs likes us better.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I hope I’m so blessed when I get mine.

13. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

^i have been on the east coast, most specifically in Maryland, Baltimore and currently in Philly and while I haven't had full 5 bar reception in every single place, it's been much better with this phone then the phone I was using while waiting for this one. And in Maryland all my family pretty much live in the sticks where my dad and brother had 1 bar on verizon I have had 2-3 bars. I current have full 5 bars while holding all three bands and then switching to just the left one.

14. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I just checked my 3GS 32GB purchased last July. Sure enough, I was able to reproduce the problem as described and demonstrated in the videos. I can bring it all the way down to "searching/no signal" when holding the edges, and it goes all the way back up when I put it down. :confused:

15. econoar thread starter macrumors regular

Seems like my theory might be right according to Jobs' emails :mad:

Think I'm returning and going Droid X if there is no fix. I've owned every iPhone...this just isn't acceptable.

16. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

17. hypoh macrumors member

hypoh

You are correct.

At first I couldn't replicate the problem on mine, and I thought I was in the clear. But after trying it again moments ago I managed to reduce the signal from 5 bars down to 2-3 bars. I had to keep my finger pressed on the seam for multiple minutes, but alas the issue finally arose. :(

18. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I think it probably also has something to do with skin composition. Some people are probably just naturally more conductive. Also if you have moist hands that probably doesn't help.

I have to squeeze rather tight to see any effect on my phone, so it isn't really an issue for me. Also I have a bumper because I don't like putting the flat back directly on to hard surfaces...it reminds me of my 1st gen iPod Touch which got scratched on a perfectly clean table after I opened it :rolleyes: So I like how the bumper elevates the back off the surface.

19. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

ive noticed the same thing except when it drops it doesnt actually effect my call quality at all. I was talking to my mom from the office and it showed 1 bar but it sounded crystal clear on my end and she said she could hear me plain as day on her end as well.

20. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

I agree with your theory.

21. Eluzion macrumors 6502

A few of my friends ordered a day after launch so they should be coming in within the week or so. If their phones do the same **** mine is doing (going from 5 to 1 bar, losing 3G, then finally searching for signal), then I'm convinced it's just a flaw with every iPhone 4. If theirs do not have the problem, I'm returning mine to Apple to get a new one. I'm hoping it's just a bad batch of iPhone 4's, but with Steve Job's stupid response to the whole situation, I'm starting to believe it's been a known issue all along -- Apple was just hoping to slip by without too many people noticing and make some extra money off these "bumpers".

Yeah, I have no doubts every iPhone, or every cellular phone, has the same sort of issue but not to the extent the iPhone 4 does. The same place I've been using my iPhone 3G for the past year, I've never had "Searching..." as frequent as I have with the iPhone 4.

22. msavwah macrumors 6502

23. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I would now like to retract my statement and say that mine also does have this issue. After really sitting down and using my left hand, once the left band was completely covered by my palm or my thumb, I would drop down 2-3 bars...it still doesn't really bug me though since I only usey right hand unless I text but still this is unacceptable on apples part and anyone who disagrees with that is clearly drinking the koolaid jobs has been whipping up

24. army91c macrumors 6502a

Theory: You have no clue.... I have not been able to re-create the issue wrapping my hands around the entire side, touching the left corner, putting my hands exactly where they did in all the videos, nothing.

Now I'm not saying it's not an issue, I'm simply wondering if there's a connection like production date or something.