Theory on screen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by uburoibob, Sep 16, 2007.

1. uburoibob macrumors regular

OK, here's a new thought about the screen issue. I have a 16 gig with the screen issue in all its glory. SO, I brought over the 3800 photos I have to the Touch, and scrolling through, they were all exhibiting the problem - except for one batch - which seemed to be working perfectly??!!!!???

I looked at the photos over in iPhoto, and the blacks were kind of washed out on them - quite a bit, actually. Each photo seemed to be over exposed.

WHAT IF it's not a screen issue at all, but the algorithm being used to present photos and video on the screen. Rather than being a simple increase/decrease overall brightness correction, which is the only thing a user can do on the iPod, Apple, in a software fix, produces the right curve to correct the problem.

Don't take my word for it - go to Photoshop or adjust in iPhoto a sample image that you are used to seeing in negative on the iPod Touch. Roll the blacks back by about 20% and brighten the rest of the photo up by 10-15%. Now bring THAT photo into the Touch and VOILA! No more problem.

I predict a software fix in no time. I am willing to bet the screen drivers are messed up and need a curve programmed in to correct the problem.

Anyway, everyone try playing around with this a bit and see if you don't find DRAMATIC improvement.

2. colto macrumors regular

Computational algorithms don't magically change from unit to unit. And the problem is spread across different firmwares and capacities...

3. EnTg888 macrumors member

While it probably is a hardware problem at the root, THAT might be a workaround for the bad screens... now if only we could adjust the contrast on these things. ;)

4. uburoibob thread starter macrumors regular

With all due respect, has anyone seen a post from anyone that placed the same material on more than one iPod Touch and examined it under identical conditions? I haven't and I've been reading lots. Also, to those who claim to have iPods that work just fine, what are you looking at to determine that?

Before we can make sweeping generalizations, we NEED to standardize the data. Serial numbers and firmware versions are telling us nothing.

Until we all see the same material on a range of iPods under the same lighting conditions, then EVERYTHING is subjective.

Round up the mobs - it's a MONSTER!

Geez.

5. --Wolf-- macrumors regular

So basically someone needs to come up with (in the meantime anyway) a program that automatically does what you suggest to the pics (and vids?) before they get put onto the Touch.

The original post shows there is nothing wrong with your screen if it indeed works....somewhat.