Theory on updating macbook pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dragonmantek, Dec 1, 2008.

1. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

I realize that the new macbook pro's have just been released, but there has also been so much new technology released!

On top of quad-core's which have been around for a while, what about the i7's? Will macbook pro's adopt those?

As well as graphic cards, there isn't much of a different between the 8600 and the 9600. The difference is the fact that it has 2 graphic cards, but they aren't even hybrid/sli yet.

There's speculation that the entire macbook line will be refreshed for another rev in january.

my question is, simply, when will macbook's adopt all of this new technology coming out?

i just want to get a macbook at the best time possible, with latest technology possible.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They'll get Nehalem in Q3 2009.
    No, there isn't speculation that they'll be refreshed in January.
    WHAT best technology? You can't shove much better than a 9600M in a .95" case without serious heat issues. Apple isn't going to give you a bigger case, either, so we basically have the best that is available right now.

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Nehalem(i7) will not come to laptops until Q3 2009 (based on what I heard) so I would say around this time next year or Macworld 2010 I could see that happening but I doubt they will refresh the notebook line at MacWorld 2009 I mean they just updated it 1 1/2 months ago!

Quick note, if you keep wanting tomorrow's technology you will never buy anything! Things just get updated so frequently so I believe you should buy if it suits your needs and if it is right for you.

ChrisN

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Do you really think they would revise the MBP line after 3 months? C'mon now.

As for the latest technology I have a little story.
    Once upon a time I bought an iMac and it was top of the line, 9 months later it was an update came out and my computer was no longer top of the line, yet, the computer still performed wonderfully.

Moral of the story: The waiting game is not worth the stress when you realize, that no matter how long you wait, your computer will outdated within months.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Then buy one at the beginning of a revision cycle. As in now... Right now. Do it.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

[QUOTE="Weird Al" Yankovic in It's All About The Pentiums]My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks, but it was obsolete before I opened the box![/QUOTE]

+1 to GimmieSlack12. Buy now or don't bother trying to buy at all.

7. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Core i7 should be set for macworld 2010 (hopefully) :)

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I should hope not! We should have all Mac models with Nehalem processors by that date, not at it.

9. iMacmatician macrumors 601

January 2010 if Apple uses dual-core, which I would think very probable.

And "Core i7" is for the high-end desktop Nehalems; other variants will be called something else.

The 17" MacBook Pro may be updated in January, but there's no speculation on the 15"'s. The only "update" I consider probable in January to the 15"'s is a small speed bump like the February 2006 and May 2006 MacBook Pro "updates."

Good luck with Nehalem in the Mac mini.

10. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

mac mini? seriously? really? honestly?

mac mini is ridiculously overpriced as of the moment.

11. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

how about 100 more threads just like this one where everyone speculates on this or that. gets pretty old!

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Welcome to MacRumors:Forums. :confused:

13. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

no new technology has come out...............................................

14. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

If by technology we refer to, flying cars, hydrogen cell batteries or quantum computing, then no. there is no new technology.

i do think a speed bump is likely in feb/march next year. intel has slightly improved mobile processors available from Jan. apple can give more for the same price. of course, knowing apple, they will give the same for a higher profit margin... the only hope i have is a speed bump at the same time as the 17" update. it's an outside chance though...

15. rtpub macrumors member

rtpub

From http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ now seems to be a good timing for getting yourself a Macbook; always go for the best option within your budget when you absolutely need one :D

16. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

if only life were so simple. problems arise when your budget is flexible and you don't absolutely need one right now. :D