Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksolano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
help! My baby just shoved 2 CDs into the iMac! I cant eject either, what shall I do? Contact apple or take it to a local computer shop? Cheers.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
just take it to the apple place since its under warntee or unless if ur educated enough to take it apart but my best bet is apple

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, Apple wouldn't cover it. I'd suggest taking it to an authorized Apple repair center. You'll probably have to pay for it, but they'd probably be willing to do it for less than Apple. Just my suggestion.

ksolano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
getting a local apple certified tech guy coming over tomorrow morning to look at it.. honestly its a simple job & i'd do it myself if i had the right tools to open up the imac.. (what i'm scared about are the Dust Bunnies!) its gonna be so dirty inside!! arrrh embarrassing

rolex54

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Houston, TX
are they all the way in the CD drive or are they like just pushed in the slot
you could try to pick them out with a small screw claw that they sell at like lowes

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
getting a local apple certified tech guy coming over tomorrow morning to look at it.. honestly its a simple job & i'd do it myself if i had the right tools to open up the imac.. (what i'm scared about are the Dust Bunnies!) its gonna be so dirty inside!! arrrh embarrassing

well if its a new mac it shouldnt be that dirty but the guy will probably have compressed air and get the dust off the compenents

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
dont have to call anyone...

#1 thing to do:
tip iMac on side, and shake until 1 cd slides out

(of that doesnt work)

#2 thing to do:
ruler w/ tape. stick in to try to get the CD's

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
yea but u might bend the slot open wider than it is and might cause u problems it can only hold one disc in there and if theres 2 in there plus a ruler you can have some preoblems

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Yea I would leave it to the guy to come along and get it fixed that way. Recently had to open up a portable DVD player with a slot loading drive and if you went poking inside your iMac blind you could easily cause more damage.

ksolano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
Fixed! it was much more tricky to open the imac then Fixing the problem.
Thanks for the Great and No so great advice.

PMR

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Portugal (Google it)
hammer-1.jpg

This tool will do the job right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.