There are Bad iPhone 3G iPhones out there

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moviecouple, Aug 4, 2008.

1. moviecouple macrumors regular

I recently had to return my 3G iPhone and get another one. I purchased the initial one on day one. It worked great for the first week. Week 2 and 3 is when it started randomly shutting off and rebooting. The battery didn't last very long and a few other problems.

The main thing that leads me to believe there are major problems with the 3G's is that when I was at home... I would only get Edge from the phone.

Now, I returned that first one and got a brand new one. This one has no problem getting the 3G network in my home. My home didn't change... so this makes me believe that they are all not built the same.

Just though I'd share my experience.

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Anything that is mass produced on the scale the iPhone is lends itself, unequivocally, to defects in a small percentage of units. It's just the nature of the business.

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It is normal for a 3G phone to not be able to pick up the 3G signal while in a buidling. It happens on mine. I can't get a signal at home, at work, at the restaurant I was dining in last night. Perfectly normal since the 3G signal is different than the edge signal and has a harder time penetrating buildings.

4. volvoben macrumors 6502

I doubt there are any widespread issues such as yours, but I'll note that while i was waiting for my iphone someone came in with a phone that wouldn't switch to 3g. he went to the geniuses who tried the usual fixes but couldn't get it to work either, so they tried a new phone which worked fine.

5. grimwwr macrumors member

Also, there are multiple posts of 3G service drastically improving in areas a few weeks after the iPhone 3G was released.

6. bilboa macrumors regular

You apparently stopped reading the original post after the first paragraph. He said the Apple store replaced his phone with an identical unit, and then it immediately started getting good reception in his home. So it was obviously that particular phone that had a problem, not 3G reception in his home.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I read the whole thing and understood it completely.