There are websites that make my fans go HIGH (-)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by XPcentric, Mar 14, 2012.

1. XPcentric macrumors 6502

So there are some sites on the internet that on OSX makes the fans (Aluminium Macbook 13") go high, in a negative sense obviously. There are those sites based on Flash, but no problem I've got Firefox and block flash, moreover I use AdBlock and NoScript as well. So what could it be that makes a website like www.girlsaskguys.com make my fans reach hot as 80C ???

It only reaches that temperature when I use graphic intensive programs like Stellarium or Celestia, but I removed them long ago, for the same reason, I think those rise it even higher.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Post an Activity Monitor screenshot that's sorted by CPU% when that's happening.

3. r0k, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Sometimes flash blockers get fooled. The other day I noticed animations still happening in Chrome with flash supposedly blocked. I had to go dig for the REAL flash block feature which is click to play and then I could go to that page without my fans running. Many web pages are simply littered with flash. Browsers with sandbox features often launch a separate instance of flash for every little flash thing on the page so half a dozen tabs could mean 120 instances of flash hogging your CPU.

Almost every time I hear my fans, it's flash. I just went to the site you have linked and first of all I got a popup asking for my email address "only to be used to notify me if I win" yeah right. Anyway, I stayed there long enough to read a few humorous posts and my fans did not come on in Chrome 17.0.963.79 on OSX 10.7.3.

I stopped using that crawling insect screen saver that paints on the screen what your iSight camera sees using crawling insects because I thought it would melt my 2008 Macbook. I also stopped running folding at home because there was nothing I could do to train it not to run my fans. In short the only time I want to hear my fans is when I'm transcoding video or some other intensive task and never for web browsing unless I hit a situation where I reluctantly have to enable flash on a web site to get something done. Then they are on within 15 to 30 seconds like clockwork. Oh and relaunching Chrome with 50+ tabs makes my fans run until all the tabs are reloaded.

4. XPcentric thread starter macrumors 6502

this is the snapshot: http://bayimg.com/IanMnaadE

I observed that for the same site when I disable JavaScript, everything is fine, but JS disables Flash as well. I'm almost sure its because of Flash now, dont know whats wrong with the Flashblock addon for firefox.

You can see there more threads in activity monitor, there are 15 tabs open including many google services which use lots of JS but no problem until I open one such a website with flash elements.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need to click on CPU in Activity monitor and sort by %CPU, like I said, and then post a screen shot. However, your Firefox using 99% is not good. Perhaps, delete the plist file associated with Firefox and restart Firefox.