There goes $100 down the drain.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guyducati, Jan 31, 2010.

1. guyducati macrumors regular

Long story short-My MacBook Pro has made a ring on several of my discs, and now two of them won't even read. My Mac is still under warranty, and I am making an appointment with Genius soon. How does that work though? Am I just screwed out of my software, and will have to buy it again? Or will Apple cover that too?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am sure they won't pay for your software

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

Ask for replacement discs from the companies of the discs that got "ringed". Some of them will be nice enough to send you replacements.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If Apple sells the software, I would push for them to replace it.

5. guyducati thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. 2 of the discs I know Apple sells, but another one of them is on Amazon for like $6, so I'm not worried about that one.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Does Apple "sell them" or are they Apple software (iWork, iLife)
    I don't see them replacing CS4 even though they sell it at the Apple Store

All you can do is ask and see what they say

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. Macvy Ricky macrumors member

If you tilt your macbook a little does it make scratching noises?

8. guyducati thread starter macrumors regular

Yea. Luckily all of my "pricey" programs (Photoshop Suite, CAD programs) don't rely on discs, so its just my games. Unfortunately, I looked at my game collection, and basically every game has the ring on it. Not good.

Yea, it does. However, My Mac is basically ALWAYS at my disc. I don't really travel with it.

9. guyducati thread starter macrumors regular

When is is that Apple will just replace your Mac? This will only be the second time I've had to bring it in to a problem related to the optical drive. If I continue to have problems with it, will they just give me a new Mac?

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

They will likely replace the optical drive if they find a problem
    But why would they give you a new Mac for an optical drive problem?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. guyducati thread starter macrumors regular

I know they won't do it now, but don't they EVENTUALLY replace a Mac if a customer keeps having a problem with the same part repeatedly?

12. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Unless your breaking it yourself, you won't have a problem with the optical drive 3-4 times.

13. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Regarding your scratched disks, are they scratched on the top or bottom? If it's the bottom, I've had lots of success with polishing out scratched disks with brasso.

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Your hint is great, and sometimes polishing off the CD/DVD will work, but the bottom line obviously is that his SuperDrive should not be causing this to start with. He needs to get it replaced.

15. guyducati thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/320; U; en-US) Presto/2.4.15 Version/10.00)

The ring is on bottom of the disc. I have a genius appt tonight so we'll see what happens. :)

16. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

What software do you have on optical discs? Apart from Snow Leopard, I can't remember the last software disc I put in my mac. Just downloads nowadays.

17. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Good luck with that, mate.

Habitus :apple:

18. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

I had this same problem - it destroyed my Win 7 ultimate disc. I called in to Apple, they routed me to Consumer Relations, who happily gave me a $250 credit towards any apple product or products.

They also set up a repair of my optical drive in that same phonecall to ensure that it didn't happen a second time.

19. guyducati thread starter macrumors regular

Well, basically what I do for "fun" is on the discs. I decided 2 years ago that I would build a gaming computer instead of buying a PS3, and then use my pc to game. I did build a sweet computer, and in 2008, it was very fast. (Core 2 Duo Quad 2.8GHZ, 8GB Ram, 8800GT) However when I decided to buy a Mac, I sold that PC. So, now, I use my Mac to game. So the games that have that "ring" are: Oblivion, Fallout 3, Quake Wars, Unreal Tournament 3, and some of my DVD's.

Thanks.

Well thank you, that IS encouraging. I just hope I have the same luck as you tonight at the Apple store.

20. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Now you see why DRM and content protection is stupid. They do nothing for proventing piracy, and when your original disk goes bad, you are screwed.

21. Makosuke macrumors 603

Since it's on the bottom I second the suggestion--if you can't get an easy replacement, try polishing the ring out. There's a good chance it's removable if not too deep. I've taken abused PS2 discs from the point they wouldn't even load to fully functional just with a cheap hand polishing kit.

It'll probably take more than a by-hand polishing kit in your case if the ring is deep, but your local video rental place might be willing to drop your discs into their fancy DVD polisher for free or a low cost (mine charges $3 a disc).

22. guyducati thread starter macrumors regular

Good news: They had a superdrive in stock, so I have a new superdrive.

Bad news: They said there is nothing they can do about my discs. They said get some cleaner.

I always get the grumpy genius. It's really annoying. Every time I go I see all of the happy geniuses, and I always have the one that looks like he doesn't want to be there.

Anyways, should I try to call Apple and see if they can do anything for me?

23. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

its always worth a try...

24. Macvy Ricky macrumors member

They swapped mine out because they didnt have a superdrive in stock and since mine was fairly new.

I will also call apple tomorrow and see what they can do for my scratched discs..

25. Surely Guest

Surely

Ha... that's a funny observation. I've noticed that too, but luckily for me, I always get one of the happy ones. Usually the grumpy one is helping the guy next to me.