There goes the DVD Player for me

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 10th Wonder, Oct 16, 2007.

1. 10th Wonder macrumors regular

Well it seems like I was cut short on that end of the stick. I'm not mad or upset but I do wonder if i am not able to use the updated verison of DVD player can I still keep and use mine from Tiger? I doubt that I will be able to use my older verison since I do watch movies on my laptop.

2. projectle macrumors 6502

Why would you not be able to use the newer version of DVD Player?

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I was going to ask the same thing.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

requirements are pretty high.....1.6ghz processor

how lame

5. 10th Wonder thread starter macrumors regular

He pretty much said it all and if you look at my specs in my signature im 0.01 ghz short

6. projectle macrumors 6502

DVD Player requires a 1.6GHz processor or faster for improved de-interlacing.

It only requires the 1.6 GHz processor if you want to use that functionality, though.

It does work on less, though.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Only the G5 came in at exactly 1.6 GHz. I wonder where this leaves the G4.

8. projectle macrumors 6502

I have been running previous developer seeds on a Powerbook just like yours, and I can say that it does run.

While I can't speak for the GM release, I can say that in the past, it has worked perfectly fine.

I doubt that Apple will pull a Microsoft and all the sudden break compatibility with their core services by an artificial limitation. (Think Vista and the whole WDDM fiasco!)

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What he said. Reading comprehension FTW.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are some G4s above 1.6GHz (some of the last generation Powerbooks, for instance). I'm kind of surprised they can't get the video card to do this through CoreImage, though.

And I would be almost certain that the rest of DVD Player works just fine below 1.6GHz. Apple would receive a lot of negative press if Leopard refused to play DVDs on computers that were sold as recently as a year ago.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i just hope this isnt any indication that leopard will perform worse on my macbook cd2ghz 2gig ram by having higher spec req. if so i may stick with tiger...

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Note I said the G5 came in at exactly 1.6 GHz. ;)

13. 10th Wonder thread starter macrumors regular

If you say it worked then I wonder about how it will work when I update my OSX to Leopard. I guess really it's no big deal but in the end of tunnel is the only way to find out.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, so the minimum system requirement is 1.6GHz. Not *the* system requirement is 1.6GHz, unless there's a typo somewhere y'all are looking at? Were *the* system requirement 1.6GHz, it would also rule out all currently shipping Apple products; AFAIK none of them have a clock speed of 1.6GHz.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I wonder about the 1.5 GHz Core Solo Mac mini.

Not really...

16. projectle macrumors 6502

As mentioned previously, DVD Player works perfectly fine on machines with less than a 1.6 GHz processor.

What the 1.6 GHz processor gets you is Apple's new improved de-interlacing filter.

This allows for the video to be upconverted in real-time so that you get a better looking image than what is stored on the discs.

If you don't have the processing power, than it works just as it always used to for Tiger and Panther before it.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*sigh* I'm lost, my friend. ;) I would say, though, if this improved de-interlacing can improve the picture quality of a DVD when played at 720p or 1080p, I would be very intrigued about replacing my iMac and my DVD player with a Mac Mini that lives under my TV....

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You've captured my interest as well. :D

19. ianimate3d macrumors member

It would be nice, but I seriously doubt it will upconvert any better than some of the best upconverting dvd players from oppo for example.

20. projectle macrumors 6502

Better is a toss-up.
    Equal is pretty much guaranteed as upconversion is memory and processor dependent.

So, you create a larger window-size to store your frames. In turn, you process all frames as a whole to fill in missing detail that you would normally see. This is because slight camera movement causes different regions of the frame to line up in different places. In turn, you can fill in details that were not present in one of the frames.

The more memory and processing power to interpret the data in memory, the larger window-size you can have, which in turn will mean a higher possible upconversion ratio.

In theory, it should be possible to upconvert higher with an actual computer than a stand-alone set-top device. Most upconversion DVD players have 800MHz processors and 256MB of memory.

It all depends on how much resources Apple wants to throw at upconversion on YOUR computer as to which will do a better job.

Well, that and their algorithm.

21. lostless macrumors 6502

IF it requires 1.6Ghz to perform de-interlacing, it better be pretty damn good. Im talking SDTV quality. (no denying the point that SDTV looks worse on a HDTV and computer monitor). Cause VLC does a lot better than apples dvd player. and that runs only on software alone and works great on my 867mhz g4. It actually will play all 60 fields per second and display them as a 60FPS progressive movie. Still, im interested to see what apple can with with all this horsepower behind de-interlacing alone. my assumption its bobing, weaving while using adaptive de-interlacing all rolled into one. Adaptive being the most processor intensive.

BTW, Apples dvd player does not use de-interlacing for most movie DVDs since they are progressive. And I'm sure the standard original deinterlacer will be there. The thing is it's just piss poor. It uses adaptive de-interlacing, but only displays 30FPS from the fields. It uses the other field only to get higher resolution for static images. But half of the motion is missing.

More info at www.100fps.com