There has been a disturbance in the force....

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Fried Chicken, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

The Mac Pro presentation... as much as they tried, they couldn't make it sound stupid.

It was almost like Steve Job's was back from the grave

2. t8er8 macrumors regular

t8er8

I am mind boggled, this is incredible. This is exactly what I wanted

3. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

Looks incredible. They didn't so much as mention Nvidia, but other than that, pretty flawless! Not to mention that the looks are seriously cutting edge.

4. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

5. Jyby macrumors 6502

Yeah cause they axed Phill from the Keynote... So he doesn't say something stupid lol

6. Fried Chicken thread starter macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

They need to axe Tim Cook from the company

7. MisterAndrew macrumors 65816

MisterAndrew

Indeed. I love how they made it look even more like a cheese grater than the cheese grater. And the display matches. Beautiful industrial design.

8. t8er8 macrumors regular

t8er8

9. liquid stereo macrumors regular

10. startergo macrumors 6502a

startergo

So now the question is:
    Do I save for a new car or for a new mac?:p

11. Boil macrumors 6502

Boil

Probably more like $30K for a decently appointed Mac Pro & two matte displays...

12. Dash Tesla macrumors newbie

Dash Tesla

A historical event, I can't wait to be able to afford my Mac Pro 7,1 :D It's even better than i could've dreamed it would be. The screens are quite expensive but hey you can get a dell 8k screen or any other screen, upgrade your components and then prices will be more sensible. Just wish they went with AMD cpus the prices would've been a lot better than going for the Xeons =/

13. macinjosh9895 macrumors newbie

macinjosh9895

I'd need a credit card with 24-36 months no interest and at least a $15k credit line to finance that thing just at the base model, but it sure looks nice! Long live the cheese grater Macs!

14. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

About the same as what mine cost new in 2011: 12-core 2.93GHz, 8GB RAM, HD 5870 and 2TB hard drive with LED Cinema Display and Apple Care (the new Pro Display XDR cost is where this comparable purchase diverges significantly).
    I would probably opt for the new 16 core Mac Pro and am very happy with what they presented today!

15. Zenithal macrumors 604

16. Fried Chicken thread starter macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

Ya

17. fathergll macrumors 65816

I can't wait to see what youtube channels pick up a loaded one just to test out gaming on it to send back within the return period.

18. CLS727 macrumors regular

CLS727

I am 100% happy.

Better than I was expecting.

A max spec with 3 screens will be $30,000....... but for someone who’s whole life is centered around it, it’s perfect

19. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

Ummm, no. Just no!

20. alphacen macrumors regular

The first two 3rd party parts for this will be a stand that doesn't cost $1000 and feet that don't look cheap and ugly. I don't know why they couldn't use the same handles from the top on the bottom as feet. They're just ugly AF.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2019 ---
    and the old LED display looked better than this monstrosity.

21. vladid macrumors member

That's the point. This is a system that, similarly to the cheesegrater Macs of yonder, will be useful for close to a decade after you take delivery. Amortize the upfront cost over the lifespan of the product and it's actually a very reasonably priced machine.

22. ssgbryan macrumors 6502a

ssgbryan

Not the way Intel has been changing sockets....

23. vladid macrumors member

There will always be the option to get a base Mac Pro and later swap in a same-socket 28- (or more) core once the silicone becomes cheap a few years down the road.

24. AidenShaw, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019

AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

If you can't simply write a check for either one (or both), you should see a financial advisor. You should be saving all along....

But congratulations for not framing the question about the credit limit on your cards. ;)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2019 ---
    This is reasonable if you're looking to upgrade with a higher-core count chip from the initial offering set.

If you're expecting to swap in a future, more powerful, chip - there are two big questions:
    • You're making the assumption that the new chip will fit the current socket and PCH and memory
    • You're assuming that the BIOS will accept a different CPU chip (regardless of technical compatibility, it's not unusual for workstation and server BIOS to reject chips that aren't known to be compatible).

25. Kpjoslee macrumors regular

Kpjoslee

Which isn't a big deal unless you are trying to upgrade CPU every year, which isn't ideal for workstation. You are usually expected to keep your machine for 3 years at least, so after that, you are going for entire system upgrade regardless.