There has GOT TO BE an iPad in the Spring

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dwalls90, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

The iPad "4" is an upgrade to some extent, yes. But really it's only a faster CPU with lightning ... and the "HD" iSight :rolleyes:

At least the 4S brought double the RAM, a faster CPU, Siri, and a better rear camera, along with iOS updates exclusive to that model ... and even then the 4S was hailed as a "lazy" update.

But I really don't feel that the iPad 4 is going to be the only iPad until next Fall for a few reasons.

I think the iPad 4 was purely released to pre-emptively strike the Surface and Nexus 10. More importantly, Apple has made it clear they want 30 pin DEAD and lightning on everything as of the iPhone/iPod event a month ago. I think this mini event was meant to fully move all of their product lines in sequence together before year end for uniformity.

I would expect a redesigned chassis (because the current one is identical, and slightly thicker, than the iPad 2 of almost 2 years ago), in-cell technology with even further improved internals due for the Spring. We may even see the patented smart-er covers to combat the Surface.

I also think that October is too late in the Holiday season to update ALL of their products. They have too many supply issues, and waiting to ship all of their profitable products (iPhone, iPad and iPhone) for the last 6-8 weeks of the year isn't a wise business decision. They would have better spread sales if they staggered product releases, which leads me to speculate this was a one-time deal.

That said, if there is no update until next Fall, for the first time ever with iPads, I will definitely be skipping out on the update (iPad 4). There are virtually no improvements other than the A6X, which is clearly a beast, but I've never had issues with my A5X, where as my A5 in the 4S started to slow by the time iOS 6 dropped.

2. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Other than RAM, CPU, better camera, storage capacity what else can you really add to the iPad? The display is already really good. In terms of features what else is there to add?

The 4th gen has a way faster CPU, better camera, new connector "yay" :| , and Siri.

The next big thing will be iOS 7. I would like to see split screen apps for better multi tasking. Maps will obviously be improved upon. I'm skeptical on whether Apple will mimic android's widgets. I don't really use them on my Skyrocket though.

Anyway I can't see another iPad coming in March. Its going to be near the end of 2013 in my opinion.

3. cnguyen0320 macrumors regular

I think Apple will take note of all the pissed off people because of the shortened refresh and not do a 6 month refresh again...

4. gadget123 macrumors 68000

5. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

In addition to what you posted above, a redesigned chassis that is thinner, since the A6X is more efficient than the A5X, meaning it shouldn't need as large of a battery or as much room for heat dissipation. In-cell technology too.

The 3rd generation has Siri too, so that's a moot point.

Hopefully iOS 7 rocks our world, but going by past trends of iOS becoming progressively incremental in upgrades, I'm not holding my breath. Jailbreaking FTW.

I don't think Apple cares to be honest ... I don't want something that I can't even call an iPad 3S to hold us over for the next 12 months.

True, it's hard to keep track, threads are moving so quickly tonight.

6. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

Can you elaborate (or provide a link) on the patented smart-er cover?

7. rowdyreverb macrumors newbie

I feel like the 4th gen iPad is the one that should have come out in March. The 3rd gen always seemed half-baked to me with its flaws (heating, charging, etc.) and I felt that they rushed it out the door for a March release with a Retina display. The 4th gen is playing catch up. I don't know if we're in store for a biannual refresh route from here on out, but it's not a stretch to imagine an early-2013 iPad followed by a late-2013 iPad like Apple's Mac/MacBook lines.

8. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Google is your friend.

But I was feeling friendly, so there's an example.

I own an iPad 3 and have never experienced those issues.

Warmer? Maybe, but all computer devices warm with intense usage. This has been a factor ever since consumer computing.

I would hardly say the iPad 4 is playing catch up ... it's the iPad 3 with an A6X and lightning. It's not any thinner or different in terms of chassis or other hardware. I guess maybe the iPad 4 is what the iPad 3 SHOULD have been, but I would hate it we wait a whole 'nother year for a proper iPad redesign.

9. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Right, because Apple cares specifically about what you want :rolleyes:

The iPad was just refreshed. Not overhauled or redesigned - merely refreshed. For a refresh 2x CPU/GPU bump is good enough. I doubt they'll wait a whole another year until the next update but spring is just too close for another update. Methinks midsummer or early fall 2013 update is much more likely.