There has GOT to be something we can do about AT&T...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Seriously. $30 data plan plus $5 for the 200 texts that were included on the old plan??

an extra $15 dollars a month! with a total of $360 more in fees than with the original plan!! there goes that $200 subsidy and then some!!

My question is is there anything we can do to make the prices go down? Can we bitch, whine and complain... sign some petitions... take the life of some at&t higher up???

ANYTHING!!! make the pain stop!

Edit: Ok, maybe just threaten the life...

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

don't buy the new phone

3. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

but what if i really really want it!!? and have been planning on buying it for 2 months now!!!

4. Sherb macrumors member

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Then you will pay because if you're not willing to pay then you really really don't want it bad enough.

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Then suck it up and pay for it, there isn't really a whole lot that you can do about it, Steve doesn't even have the main input on it (although he does have a strong input, AT&T makes the true decision. So there isn't really all that much that you can do about it.

7. elbirth macrumors 65816

I've been waiting on this since last January when they originally announced the iPhone. I made up my mind then that I would hold out for the 2nd generation iPhone and then jump on it.
    That time has finally come and now AT&T is trying to screw us over even more. I seriously can't believe it's being glossed over so much and Steve is trying to act like the iPhone is so affordable now when the service plan kills it.

I'd love to think we can petition and do a bunch of stuff, but Apple sold its soul to AT&T for an exclusive contract, and right now they own the iPhone monopoly, so I have no clue what we could possibly do...

8. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

my first gen iPhone is looking better everyday. Metal backing, cheap data plane, looks better.

I suggest you get one on eBay while they are still around.

Or you can get a 3G iPhone and hope you can unlock it for T-Mobile.

9. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

that is the EXACT same thing i did. I loved everything about the original iphone, but i knew it would be expensive and that they would have price drops and updates and all that. So i waited.... and now it's more expensive than the first!

10. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Bad PR can go a long way (ie $100 early adopter rebate)

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

you know what you could do? stop whining!

AT&T is the reason the phone is 199 now, they are paying (subsidizing) for the majority of the phone and LOSING MONEY on it. They arent expected to turn a profit for two years from this deal.

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

Welcome to the rates that most of the rest of the world have been paying for unlimited data since god knows when.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Sprint and T-mobile are the only carriers I can think of with cheap data plans. Verizon bends you over and ATT seems to be falling in line. I pay $15 for unlimited data via Sprint (no text). BB powervison is $30, and now Sprint is requiring the Everything Plan for all upcoming smart phones. The don't currently have a Family Everything Plan, so I'm stuck breaking the two phones up and paying more.

14. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Even if you get a used 1gen phone. I think the cheaper iPhone plan exists any more....

15. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I believe these are the rates that other "smartphone" users pay. Why should the iPhone be any different?

I just await the day when I only have to pay one bill to be online. As of now I have a cable internet bill and an At&t data plan.

16. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

No offense, but this post exemplifies everything that is wrong with our "consume in spite of all else" culture.

17. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

The iPhone used to be classified by At&t as a feature phone. That being the case, it had the feature phone "MEdiaNet" data pricing and included 200 texts. The 3G upgrade and the business features have classified it a smartphone by their standards, so it is now receiving smartphone data pricing.

BlackBerry Personal Plan: $30
    PDA/Smartphone Personal Plan: $30

Neither include text messages.

I guess since I currently pay $30 a month for my data, this isn't a big deal to me. I can understand how it hurts current iPhone users, but it is really something that was bound to happen. At&t merely brought the iPhone inline with their other PDA/Smartphone data plans. At least the iPhone gets Visual Voicemail; the same can't be said about BlackBerry and WinMo.... <shrug>

18. aristobrat macrumors G5

I don't understand why people don't get that. :confused:

The first iPhone = $599, later reduced to $399. It was like AT&T threw you a bone for paying so much for the phone (2x-3x more than their other smartphones they sold) by making the iPhone data plan $10.00/month cheaper than their other Smartphones.

Now you don't have to pay 2x-3x more for the new iPhone (it's the same price or cheaper than AT&T's other Smartphones), and they're charging the same rate for unlimited data as they do their other Smartphones.

19. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

plus if i buy the iphone i'll be helping stimulate our economy!!! ;)

20. aristobrat macrumors G5

Like your thread is stimulating MacRumor's post count?! :D

21. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

If you really wanna do something about this AT&T thing, buy the iPhone and donate it to the jailbreak developers. Get the phone back at some point and connect to whoever you like.

22. aristobrat macrumors G5

How does that help? :confused:

To buy the iPhone 3G, you have to sign a new AT&T contract and get your new iPhone activated in the store (like a regular phone) before you can leave with it.

Even if you jailbreak your new iPhone 3G and use it with another carrier (which would only be T-Mobile in the US, and that sucks because the iPhone 3G doesn't support the frequencies T-Mobile will use when they finally get their 3G network up and running), you still have to deal with the obligation of the AT&T contract you signed when you bought the iPhone 3G, no?

23. pab277 macrumors regular

I just feel the whole situation is sloppy right now. It seems AT&T doesn't even know what their going to do with all charges and many are being misinformed due to that. We'll just have to wait to see how this whole thing pans out over this month. Some things may change, you never know.

24. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

how much would it cost to after a week cancel the contract?.. That that money is less than the savings of a different carrier (assuming it will be hacked), then its worth it..

25. aristobrat macrumors G5

Maybe it will change, but AT&T did release all of the info in an "official" press release.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=25791

If you read that, it seems like they know what they're doing, although word of what they're doing probably won't get to all of their employees for a bit...

IIRC, if you cancel within their 30-day "grace period", you have to return all equipment.