There has got to be something wrong with this rental house- update- SCAM

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OscarTheGrouch, Aug 12, 2008.

1. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

2. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

Shouldnt matter on a rental. Market value for a house like this in this area is over 1500 a month easy.. you dont rent something this nice, this cheap... its unheard of.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Probably going cheap because it is in the middle of a building site… If you look at the map it is all pretty much dust and dirt all around…
    I am quite sure if it was set in an established suburb the price would be much higher.

Off topic:
    Speaking as someone used to UK properties… Would you look at the size of that garage?!!! :eek::eek:
    Bigger than most houses in London… :eek:

4. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

That garage is tiny compared to my garage right now. Its labeled as a two car garage, however it can easily fit 4 small cars, or probably 6 of the gokarts you drive in europe..

I was thinking that was an old pic on google maps.. I'd love to not have neighbors... no one can hear my kids scream *evil laugh*

5. jadedxsyn macrumors member

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Aaannndd... the other possibility, not to be ignored, is that the craigslist advertiser isn't the owner of the house, they'll be out of town and unable to show it, but they'll mail you the keys once you send them the security deposit and first month's rent (sure they will...)

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think we have different opinions on what makes a beautiful house. I wouldn't pay a dime to live in it. :)

8. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Thats about 30% cheaper than my inner city 1 bed apartment!

9. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd also give them my bank account number and SS number to do a background check on me also.. I'm sure they are trust worthy people...

The fraud listings on cl are usually pretty obvious.. they use a real light text on the white background in addition to the regular ad text... its like random words and stuff to get past a spam filer..they also have vague locations like "near downtown" etc

im hopinh to hear back from this person to see if they are full of crap or not.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Family new to Valley loses savings in Cragislist rental scam

Yay, move in and find out later that the owners want their home back.

Basically it says to check the local tax assessor's office to see who really owns the home, after this story aired it seemed there were others calling in every couple days with the same scam on other homes in town.

---

There is also the other scam on homes, owners renting homes in foreclosure or pre-foreclosure and pocketing the money and walking away from the home and the renters who get evicted 30-90 days later.

11. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm thats even more interesting.. i wasnt even thinking along those lines...

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Repeating catchphrases like 'southern craftsman style' reeks of scam to me...

13. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

No Fibre Optic?

EDIT: I just had an even worse thought, no Cable TV?

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

just last week a friend who lives in Paris sent me an email about an apartment listing on craiglist in Paris which was renting for about half of the going rate for the neighborhood......it was in fabulous condition, they sent beautiful photos of the interior (although the photos looked like high quality CAD renderings). Sure enough, the "owners" had moved from Paris to Texas before they could rent this gorgeous apartment. They wanted a deposit before they would send the keys for an inspection..........:eek:

15. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah the more i think about it the more suspicious i have become. we will see, im not going to shell out a dime before i am convinced, however id like to look at it.

16. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

It was called

17. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Well, he did put "Remain blessed," in there...can't be all that bad.

I say trust him.

:p

Just kidding!! :D

18. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Sorry Oz, I hate being right sometimes. But sometimes it pays to be a suspicious bastard.

19. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh not at all, like I said there has got to be something wrong with it.

Even without your mention, when I got that email, I would have immediately realized it was a hoax- I have several dead relatives in nigeria wanting to leave me money.

20. picokimkam macrumors newbie

+447035928395 area code

What area code is this number? I recently got an email from some fedrick collins claiming to be from Multisport International and he says that he has an offer for me. I have to fill out this registration form and send him my international passport page. The number matches the same number from the house that is for sale.

21. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

No area code. It's a UK mobile phone number. Why not enter it on a few websites to give him a lot of irritating spam texts.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

23. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

http://www.419eater.com/

You will like some of the stories here. They scam the scammers, and if they do get any money out of the scammers, they donate it!