Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rytter127

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
when i start up my macbook there comes a grey loading bar under the apple and it takes 15 min for my mac to start up..... what is this can anyone help ????????

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
That usually indicates a firmware update is being applied, but if it happens every time that means something else is causing an issue that it just thinks is a firmware update being applied.

Try starting up the computer by holding down the power button for 5-10 seconds (do this with the computer already off, if you do that while it's on it'll force a shutdown, which can be problematic). You'll hear a long tone and then the same bar will come up. That's the official way to upgrade the firmware (after an update has been downloaded), and it could be one was downloaded and never fully installed properly.

Failing that, try running Disk Utility from your Install disk and repairing the Disk as well as Permissions (Permissions likely aren't at fault here, but it doesn't take that long and doesn't hurt anything to try).

jW

alexleake

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
Corrupted data.

This occurs for me but i know why. Its because of data that may get corrupted by force shutting down your mac mid boot. When it does get corrupted this bar occurs , and the bar may also appear to restore things like word files that may have been opened at the time you force shut down your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.