There is a new charger and box in Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mckvakk, Dec 16, 2009.

1. mckvakk macrumors regular

We just got a new shipment of 32GB 3Gs iPhones, they were all in a new box, and inside was a new, much smaller charger.. Wonder when they'll sell it separately..

Attached Files:

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Looks pretty much like the box and charger the 3GS has been shipped with in the US at least since I bought mine in August. *shrug*

3. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Take it to the Genius Bar and see how many confused Genius' you'll get :eek:

Cool, I always wondered why the UK charger was twice the size as the ones here in North America.

5. iVoid macrumors 65816

Mainly it's because the UK plug itself is HUGE.

BTW, that isn't a UK adapter. Most of continental Europe, it looks like.

6. BiggyG macrumors newbie

UK Plug Sizes

UK Plug hasn't been very large for a little while now.

Left to right:
    iPod Photo Charger from 2004 (from the days when iPods came with mains adapters)
    iPhone 3G Charger 2008
    iPhone 3GS Charger 2009

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

The difference between the 2004 charger and the 2009 is significant to say the least! To compare the 2004 and the 2009 after saying it hasn't been very large for a while?

Should of said "...the 2008 and 2009 chargers, though different in size, are nothing compared to the behemoth from 2004..."

There is also quite a difference between 2008 and 2009.

8. BiggyG macrumors newbie

"Little While" I said, Little While.

I can only assume that whilst all 3GS iPhones in the UK shipped with the 2009 model charger, Apple were still shipping our European friends with the 2008 model until recently.

The 2004 model is a behemoth, but it still serves me day in day out. I've had 4 iPhones total, and i still use both a 3G and a 3GS on a daily basis (one for work, one for personal)

Tip, if your iPhone breaks, (as both of mine have) only send the phone back to O2 (they don't care), then you can keep spare chargers and headphones. I have two chargers by my bed (one for each phone), two at work, and one I keep in my bag for night stops away from home. Add that to the car charger i have, there is a solution to the iPhones poor battery life.

9. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Don't forget the old firewire chargers! They were huge.

Apple has come a long way in streamlining the appearance of their chargers. They have done better than all other companies that I have seen.

10. omerbaker macrumors member

Didn't the EU mandate the mini USB type charger on ALL phones starting in 2010? When I read the title I thought that was the topic. Any news or info on the Apple solution for this?

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I do not think it is mandated but all the makers agreed to it. I expect that it will happen for all the cells as new models are released in 2010. The 4G iPhone released in the summer I expect will have a micro USB port added to it and it will be world wide or I hope so.

I have noticed that phones are already across the board starting to make the switch over to Micro USB. the Droid uses Micro USB. Blackberry has made the switch starting with the curve 8900. I want to say HTC has done it as well. They double up on it as that is also how to connect to the computer.

Now switching to Micro-USB does not mean they have to give up another type of charger or even port. For example the Blackberry still has ability to use a Dock Charger. They port for it are on the back of the phone and unless you look closely you would never release that the port is there because it put on in such a way that it looks like it support be there.

I expect apple to just add a micro USB port to the side of the iPhone and use both types of connections. The phone will have a micro USB port on it. If there is an adptor to convert the port on the phone to the one on the other iPods is another story.

here is the list of current micro USB phones from August. It is safe to bet every maker on that list any new phones that have come out since then are microUSB.

http://cellphoneforums.net/general-...672-phones-use-micro-usb-chargers-cables.html