There IS a problem with some 3GS Batteries!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by monkeybusiness, Jul 10, 2009.

1. monkeybusiness macrumors newbie

I picked up my Iphone 32g 3Gs last week and by mid week was getting very frustrated at the battery life. Not having owned an Iphone before I had nothing to compare it to and knew that the phone was capable of tearing through the battery if used a lot. My issue came with the fact that it would eat battery life even in airplane mode and with me not using it. I could barely get to 5pm after charging the phone to 100% at 6am.

After searching the forums for people with similar issues and finding a LOT of posts about it I decided that something wasn't right and took the phone to the Genius Bar. I walk in, tell them about my battery life. The girl tried to tell me I was experiencing normal battery life and stated standby was 1 day... ? So I said "isn't it 11 days?" She walks back and pulls out a brand new phone! And let me tell you, this new phone is night and day compared to the old one. It's already lasted me a whole 26hr with 1.5hr talk time, some gaming and its only down to 20%.

Three things alert me to the fact that some Iphones are having problems...
    1) My new phone is night and day from the old one
    2) They gave me no hassle in getting a new phone
    3) There are TONS of posts about crappy battery life and lots of people are having problems

The reason for this post is if someone is experiencing battery problems.. GET A NEW ONE! There are lots of cynical people on this forum blaming YOU for your problems.. heavy usage, turn off 3g, don't use the phone.. blah blah blah. But even if Apple keeps their mouth shut (which they probably will) there may be an issue with your phone and you should at least get it checked out if you are experiencing battery problems. There is no reason anybody should pay top dollar for a high end phone only to have a defective product and not know about it. Hope this helps somebody.

~David

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean, this is not a problem exclusive to the 3GS, iPhone, Mobile Phones or electronics. Batteries occasionally are fault...

For the record, what of the 3G doesn't have a problem? Anyone's plastic covering for the box not come in perfect condition?

3. eg2007 macrumors 6502

My 3GS battery couldn't hold a charge. Made a Genius Bar appointment and they gave me a new phone.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Oh boy, are you going to get some responses.

First, so what if the new iPhone is different than the old phone. That's what you wanted, right. That doesn't support your argument that there are numerous problems with the battery, which is basically what you are intimating above.

Second, they seem to give no one any hassle for lots of things! Cracks, you name it, just return the iPhone and you get a new one. Again, that doesn't support your argument.

Last, there are TONS of posts, because that's what people do on here, COMPLAIN. These are forums. Understand? Again, doesn't support your argument.

And before you say it, NO, I'm not a fanboy.

5. monkeybusiness thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I didn't post this thread for the responses. I don't have a problem anymore. I posted it for those of you who are experiencing problems and are in denial. All I'm saying is the phone I turned in was defective... And if I hadn't gone to the store and gotten a new one I would have gone two years + with a defective phone. Maybe this isn't a widespread problem.. But many people have posted about battery problems and get the answer "it's your fault". Well maybe it's not. Maybe it's the phones fault. Can't hurt to find out...

6. samcraig macrumors P6

I nominate this quote as the funniest for today!!

" I posted it for those of you who are experiencing problems and are in denial."

I don't think you'll find a SINGLE person on here who thinks for a second that when their phone doesn't work 100 percent and look 100 percent the way they think it should it's THEIR fault or are in DENIAL

The opposite is true. But thanks for making me laugh!!!

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't think posters are saying it's their fault. Some are, but that's just how some are on here. Many are just trying to help and offering solutions, since the battery sometimes takes a few days before you really know if it is bad. Also, certain usage may affect battery life more than others.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean, if you are having a problem with your 3GS, go to the Apple Store. None of us on this forum can get your phone replaced. There is def. some angry old people on this forum that are sick of the minute problems people are having, a lot of which were experienced on the 3G and others on other mobile phones. That has led to the constant "it's your fault" posting and what not. But seriously I don't know how anyone could read these forums and think buying an iPhone is at all a good idea.

9. monkeybusiness thread starter macrumors newbie

Man you guys are harsh. It's only been 10 minutes.

And yes DENIAL.. as funny as it may be. I was in Denial last week. because I came on this froum and there was nothing but negativity towards people experiencing problems. So I thought it was just me. I thought maybe that was the way the phone should act. But obviously not...

10. samcraig macrumors P6

If you want perspective, visit the palm pre board. I did just to see if people were as "nuts" over there. Yeah. They are. But it's different. No one has a level of comparison since the Pre is gen 1

11. samcraig macrumors P6

What you might be seeing are people posting their usages thinking they are getting poor performance when in actuality - it's within normalcy.

IE a person getting 1-2 days of standby and 6-8 hours of usage (of mixed applications - I know it depends) is getting decent performance based on their settings

Several posters still post their stats even though there are several similar scenarios.

The negativity you're seeing is perhaps people getting annoyed at having to satsify every poster who asks.

12. dagomike macrumors 65816

While there probably is an issue with some phones, there's still an issue with lots of people usage and expectations being out of whack.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

As samcraig said, you might have seen some negativity due to some being annoyed about answering the same questions over and over.

However, samcraig, YOU are in denial, because there are a number of people on here that just love to antagonize. Admit it!!! Oh, and you're in denial about that post you started about mysterious email. It's your fault they're on your iPhone. Stop blaming Apple. :D

For those that can't tell, I'm totally kidding in the previous paragraph.

14. monkeybusiness thread starter macrumors newbie

You're kidding? Uh .. What?? Me confused... :confused: :D

you must be in denial

15. bstpierre macrumors 6502

I think the biggest problem on these forums is the ability for people to read and understand a simple forum post.

Your first point is incorrect. The fact that his replacement iPhone 3GS is night and day better than his original iPhone 3GS does support his argument that some iPhone 3GS's have a battery problem.

Your second point is also lacking. He is claiming that the no hassle exchange is evidence of an acknowledged ligitimate claim. To counter that you say that they will give a no hassle exchange on lots of things but the one specific example you site is cracks, which I would consider a ligitimate claim for a replacement. It would be better is you gave a specific example of a no hassle exchange for an illigitimate claim (such as I dropped it in the toilet and now it doesn't work right).

I will concede that there are a lot of complaints on these forums but there is a difference between a complaint that sets up specific usage criteria and complains about the performance (can't last a day with airplane mode on and and not using the device) and a complaint that a feature that was never promised was not delivered. The first type of complaint provides useful data for a user to compare with their own usage experience. The second type of complaint is good for fantasy discussions of what the iPhone could be.

I would like to thank the original poster for sharing his experience with his iPhone and providing a benchmark for all of us to measure our battery life against.

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink the larger problem is the complaints overall have gotten much more minute and worse. There were a lot of complaints about the iPhone at first, but most of them were centered around its price. We never saw anything like the minute "my screen is .5 percent darker then the one in Best Buy" threads. Nor did we see so many of them? And after owning a first generation iPhone, I don't believe it's because Apple was building that much of a better phone back then.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

I agree.

I think the OP's thread title set some people off too...

"There IS a problem with some 3GS Batteries! " perhaps should have read "There WAS a problem with my 3GS Battery"

A) acknowledges that the problem may or may not be an issue
    B) avoids the use of !'s which to me makes it sound like you're ringing a bell calling attention as if this was uber important.