Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
When I click on my finder, there is no spotlight searchbar. I went through all the options, and there is no way to get it back. I can still click on my HDD on the desktop, and there is a spotlight bar. I can click "Apple + Spacebar" and get a spotlight search. But when I click the finder on my dock, there is no spotlight bar.

Help?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
If you mean that the entire toolbar and sidebar in Finder windows are gone, you can get them back by clicking the elongated button at the top right of the window. This button toggles toolbars on/off in any window that has such a button.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Control-click (or right click) on the top grey part of the Finder window and click on "Customize Toolbar..."

You can put the search field back or just click a button to restore the default configuration. You probably accidentally command-dragged the search field off the toolbar and it disappeared.

Edit: Nice to see we've all covered every possible interpretation of his question. ;)

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Also try VIEW > CUSTOMIZE TOOLBAR. Drag the SEARCH icon onto the Finder toolbar, but try gekko531's suggestion first...

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm a dumb@$$. I didn't even realize that little oval thing in the top right of the window was a button. Heh. Thanks for all the help, it was apparently an easy fix. I thought I might of sent a important file to the trashcan without realizing it.

Thanks.

EDIT: While I'm here, does anyone know what a "Tmp" folder in my finder window might be for? It has a whole bunch of images that seem to make out a woodgrain frame. Any ideas?

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
EDIT: While I'm here, does anyone know what a "Tmp" folder in my finder window might be for? It has a whole bunch of images that seem to make out a woodgrain frame. Any ideas?

Tmp generally means temporary, what folder is it in? I can only think of one osx instance of woodgrain and that's in garage band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.