There is no such thing as video input for iMac right?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lavino, Jun 20, 2011.

1. lavino macrumors member

Say if I got a PS3 right next to it. Can I do HDMI/VGA/RGB input from my PS3 to the iMac and use a partial/full screen? I used to have a PCI TV card in my PC that I used for doing PS2 games. Then I when I bought the PS3 I used the HDMI for a new monitor that has HDMI input and switch between DVI for PC. Can you take video input or any sort? whether it is the PS2 or PS3 or external DVD player or bluray from my PS3? I don't mind getting a paid software/hardware solution for this but my google doesn't return anything. Wonder if anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks so much

2. Michael D., Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

Michael D. macrumors member

The new 2011 iMac accepts only Thunderbolt devices. We may get an adapter in the near future.

Currently, neither of us can plug in a PS3.

If you're in a hurry, you could consider a refurbished 2010. You can use an adapter with the minidisplay port.

3. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

there was a firmware update that is allowing the imac to be used as monitor..i havent seen it done yet

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I think Michael means a refurb 2010.

Google Kanex XD. It seems to be the most widely used, although there are others from atlona and dr bott, etc. But I think that they're more expensive and crap, respectively.

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yeah. And I think that's what Michael exactly said :D

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Michael's post was edited from his original. He stated a 2011 refurb in his original post.