Auto There is NO wireless CarPlay

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by ryuok, Apr 8, 2015.

1. ryuok macrumors regular

I hate to be the one who contradict major tech sites like MacRumors and TechCrunch, but there is no wireless CarPlay in iOS 8.3.

Please check your fact before reporting.

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

3. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

isn't it in the changelog? either way i cant find it, nor the no password for free apps in my settings.

4. ryuok thread starter macrumors regular

Just because it was once in beta, doesn't mean it will be included in the final. Where does it say wireless CarPlay in the release notes? This is simply lousy reporting.

5. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Do any of the current CarPlay head units on the market have wifi capabilities?

6. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

Yeah I noticed.I'm on beta 4 and is not in the setting anymore

7. ryuok thread starter macrumors regular

8. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 6502a

9. Solver macrumors 6502a

Wireless Carplay is likely in the final release of iOS 8.3. But, Apple will need to throw a switch to activate it.

Same thing with iOS 8.3 beta 4. It was in there. Starting today, it's not.

10. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Me too I cannot find the no password for free apps. Maybe in ios 9 as a new feature! :eek:

11. omegis83 macrumors 6502

omegis83

Wireless CarPlay was in 8.3b3 but disappeared in beta 4 and is no longer visible in the final build for public. If you're device has Touch ID active, you won't find the setting for downloading apps without a password.

12. big samm macrumors 65816

to get this option turn off finger print reader than activate by selecting every time or after 15 min in settings/itunes

13. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Thanx! Got it, but why would :apple: makes it this way? The average joe wouldn't know.

14. big samm, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

big samm macrumors 65816

There is NO wireless CarPlay

Maybe because with touch id you don't use a password, im just guessing like that...

15. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

So I turned off fingerprint and that gave me the free download no password option ....

BUT WHERE IS WIRELESS CARPLAY???? :confused:

16. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Do you have a head unit that supports it?

Maybe it will only show up once you've connected to a supported system.

17. ryuok thread starter macrumors regular

It was supposed to show up first then look for supported car once the voice button is pressed. Kind of like bluetooth pairing.

Even Apple's release notes made no mention of wireless CarPlay.

18. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Nope I have never wanted to have to PLUG IN my phone every single time I get in my truck to get Carplay (dumbest thing ever).

So I have held off waiting for Wireless CarPlay to come out before I purchase ... since I'm sure knowing my luck the one head unit I buy is the one not working with Wireless CarPlay.

So no I WANT to buy one ASAP but need to know this works and if it works with all Carplay aftermarket units.

I assume it connects via Bluetooth but who knows ... this is why I have waited.

So I WANT A CARPLAY DECK ... I just need to know this actually works is all.

19. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I place my phone in a dock every time I get in the car. If I had a CarPlay unit it'd probably be wired to that.

Do any of the current units support wireless CarPlay though?

I assume it doesn't use Bluetooth and uses wifi. I doubt Bluetooth could handle the bandwidth of streaming your screen and corresponding data back and fourth.

20. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

You're going to be waiting for a while. I'm not sure that any current trucks even have CarPlay or are even going to be getting it soon...

21. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Pioneer, Alpine etc. all make aftermarket head units that all have CarPlay (Alpine unit is CarPlay proprietary and does nothing but CarPlay ... does nothing but radio when phone is not plugged in).

I am going to be buying and aftermarket deck with CarPlay.

And that's the thing ... I am waiting to see if Wireless CarPlay even works with these decks ... like said above is it Bluetooth? is is WiFi?

I can;t find anything yet on the details of ANYTHING Wireless Carplay .. kinda weird.

But ya getting Carplay is easy with these Pinoeer decks ... it's knowing whether or not the Wireless function will work on them is the problem right now I guess till it's tested.

BUT ... Regardless ... back to original issue ... the is NO Wireless CarPlay option in 8.3 now so it doesn't even matter ... it seems to not even exist.

22. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

I have the Pioneer deck. There is a forum at www.avic411.com where people discuss these decks as well as Carplay. This has been tested with people that have 8.3, there is no wireless Carplay option.

Best guess right now is that it requires WiFi hardware in the head unit, and none of the current Carplay enabled decks have this. It's also possible it only would require a firmware update from Pioneer, but no one knows.

23. Timmeh8604 macrumors member

I have a 15 Honda Civic, a car which is supposed to eventually get CarPlay. In browsing through diagnostic menus on my factory head unit it has wifi connectivity but is locked at the moment so I can't do anything with it. The menu clearly shows wifi connectivity though. I'm just waiting for honda to finally update to CarPlay since the 14's were the first to advertise having CarPlay.

24. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I don't get why anyone would want bluetooth carplay, when you are in the car, do you not plug your iPhone in to charge it anyway? So, what is the big deal? Just plug it in to your audio unit, USB is faster than BT, so it will work better, IMO, not that I have a unit yet.

Wait, maybe you all do not realize that when you plug in to an audio unit for carplay it also charges your iPhone?