Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reeney

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Tucson
There is one website my new M1 Macbook Air cannot access at all on Safari and very slowly on Chrome. It works fine on an older computer also running Big Sur, and works on my iPad. It is a competitor to this site but I often reference both. Mac-forums.com isn’t anything dangerous and I cannot fathom why the M1 MacBook dislikes it.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Screen Shot 2563-11-30 at 06.41.28.png

Are you trying to sneakily promote this website?

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
Maybe your old computer had manual dns set and new one doesn’t. Or VPN? I know some websites don’t work with VPN.

Last edited:

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
It might be worth deleting the first two in that list, making a note of them in case you want to put them back later.
See if things improve.

reeney

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Tucson
No ethernet port on new MacBook, btw. Using phone, still won't load that site. Loaded this one. Going back to wifi now. That was a fascinating idea and I really hoped/thought it would work.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
No ethernet port on new MacBook, btw. Using phone, still won't load that site. Loaded this one. Going back to wifi now. That was a fascinating idea and I really hoped/thought it would work.
Did you try accessing the other site as soon as you opened the new Mac, or was if after you installed all your programs? Do you have any Safari extensions installed? And even though you said Malwarebytes only runs manually, try closing the app manually, close Safari, reopen Safari and see if the site loads.

reeney

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Tucson
I certainly didn’t try the website until setting up the Mac.

I don’t have anything unusual on my computer. I have Quicken and Dropbox and Feedly and Office 365. The only Safari extensions are Rakuten and Honey...both shopping add ons that find coupons. I closed Malwarebytes and it made no difference.

reeney

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Tucson
I verified again that the site opens on my husband's iMac running Big Sur. I don’t know anyone who has an M1 Mac and could try.

benz240

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
Dumb question, but have you tried restarting the computer? Also try clearing cookies.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
There is one website my new M1 Macbook Air cannot access at all on Safari and very slowly on Chrome. It works fine on an older computer also running Big Sur, and works on my iPad. It is a competitor to this site but I often reference both. Mac-forums.com isn’t anything dangerous and I cannot fathom why the M1 MacBook dislikes it.
I have no problems accessing the site. Try opening a private browser window. If it works, then perhaps you have a cookie or some other setting that carried over from your previous setup that is interfering with the browser.

benz240

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
Is it possible the site has your IP address blocked? Sometimes forum sites automatically do that if you enter the wrong password a number of times. Check with the administrator perhaps. Also you could test that theory by trying a VPN and loading the site, it should work through a VPN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.