There is something eating up my hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by huythanhv2, Nov 28, 2011.

1. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

Hi all,

So I have an OWC 6G 128GB.

I think there is something building up as long as I run my computer. Sometime it's even 30GB large. When I restart, it's gone and I have heap of space again.

This is the screenshot of DaisyDisk scanned the harddrive

http://cl.ly/1t3C3H2H3P2H263j3O2U

As you can see in this photo DaisyDisk shows it as Hidden space and even if I scan it as Administrator, I can't access that thing as well. The longer my mac is up, the bigger it is. Sleeping and waking up will not erase it, only restart does.

Have anyone experience this kind of things before?

I have MBP2010 and running on 10.6.8. This setup has been running find for more than 6 months before this happens...

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

what does disc utility say?

It might be local time machine backups, but those shouldn't vanish after a reboot.

edit: I really like Disc Inventory X: http://www.derlien.com/

3. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Try OmniDriveSweeper. It's free and it shows hidden files by default. The only thing I could think of that would occupy that much space is the Local TM Snapshots ("Mobile Backups") but like thunderteele pointed out, they shouldn't disappear.

Maybe try the aforementioned tools to get the name of the file/folder then report back.

4. MacsAreBetter\ macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

they could vanish if he completes a backup to his external, than those local snapshots are no longer needed

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol nevermind, just saw you were working with 128GB ... 30GB is quite significant.

8. huythanhv2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. I'll try the suggested methods and report back.

However, when I tried to verify disk permission, it showed that there is some permission differences. Then I tried to repair it, it showed repair done but when I verify again, they are all there, nothing repaired.

Is that something I should consider? I tried with OnyX as well.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

11. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

This is kind of a longshot, but what about caches and other kinds of system junk? I use CleanMyMac to get rid of it every once in a while, sometimes there's a LOT of built up crap... Otherwise, I'm gonna go with time machine or mobilebackup like some people already mentioned.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.

13. MoonshineSG macrumors member

14. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

Well, yeah, I use it for freeing disk space, which is what the thread starter wants, right? That's why I recommended it.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's exactly why it's not recommended. In clearing disk space, many have reported that it deleted important system files. As long as there are problems being reported with it, I'd stay away from it. There are safer alternatives to freeing up disk space, so it's not worth the risk.

16. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

Alright, i see what you mean now. I must say, I haven't had any issues with it, but I think I'll be more careful when using it from now on.

17. huythanhv2 thread starter macrumors regular

I've just figured out it's for sure there is something to do with Time Machine as since I disable it, everything went back to normal. No more losing hdd space for no reason.

Can anyone suggest me what is going on exactly?

PS: even if I have time machine enabled and finished performing a backup, the hdd space is still not released.

18. thundersteele macrumors 68030

19. huythanhv2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info, I've come across that before but the thing is I'm still with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 so I don't think it's applicable in my situation?

And there was time it really filled up my ssd (means I got warning message about no more space on start-up drive)...