There is something strange about the 17" (15 vs 17)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yly3, Mar 7, 2012.

1. yly3 macrumors 6502

I was thinking about going all the way on the next refresh and get the 17" so I decided to go into a store today and check them out. They were all lined up, from the 11" Air to the 17 pro.

I really want the bigger screen but I was pulled of a bit by some unsual things.
    First off, the laptop seems a bit .. unbalanced. I can't find the right words, it may be because of the keyboard keeping the same size dunno but I feel like the screen "footprint" is smaller than the 2nd half of the laptop.

As I went from 13 to 15 (standard resolution) I instantly felt the "Awe !", it felt refreshing, natural and pleasing to see a bigger screen.
    From 15 to 17, however, I didn't quite feel it. In fact, I didn't feel the screen THAT bigger. It felt more like a 15 to 16 transition.
    Also I didn't like the resolution of the 17, or to say it better, what people call here the "OS X resolution independence thingy".

13-15 = great ! bigger picture better quality
    15-17 = a 21" desktop display squeezed into a 17" frame.
    The text is too small in my opinion, and while you might have more screen estate for multiple windows open simultaniously for example, it felt like it would hurt my eyes, especially in the long run.

The 17 feels like too big with the screen not being that much bigger comparing with the 17. I just felt like the 17 could deliver more experience wise. It might be just me I do not know.

I really wanted to like it, I even dealt with and ultimately liked the idea of having a bigger laptop but I just got cold feet when I was using it.

Any thoughts ? Especially from the guys who went 15 -> 17 ?
    If Apple happens to refresh the "viewing experince" with this rumored Retina thing I might give it another chance.

:(

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have a 17"...I know what you mean about the keyboard, it does somehow seem out of proportion. I needed the real-estate, but it's a heavy beast to carry around.

My Air simply doesn't replace it for work, and you do grow to love that screen...I gave up using it at nigh as a browsing device when I got my MBA though...My legs were suffering big time.

3. yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you like the screen resolution/text ? How about in longer sessions of reading ? I plan on keeping the laptop more on some table, maybe some ocasional gaming in bed, but no often.
    If you had the chance to check a 15", did you feel it "way" too small ?

Basically, I "prepared my mind" to like it from a physical point of view like weight and all but I don't see the improvements to be honest ..

I would also love to watch fullHD movies on it.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I do. I pair it with an MM and have it on my desk a lot of the time. Although my iMac does the heavy lifting, my Pro is more than capable of handling the same tasks.

The screen is a joy, and it's excellent in the studio. I would only go down to a 15" if they make one with a huge SSD, and at least 8GB RAM....Too much like the AIR I think.

Wouldn't be without it.

Attached Files:

5. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

The 17" is a little bit off-putting when you see it in person, and I think it's due to some of the proportion issues you high lighted. Having said that, I feel like it's the only macbook that doesn't constantly remind you that you're using a notebook when you're using it. This is subjective of course, but as a guy who comes from using 1-2 large monitors for many years, the 17" MBP has enough screen real estate to not feel like a compromise.

I don't want to diminish the appeal of the 13 or 15, but for my money, the 17" has the most wow-factor after you've used them a while. The 13 and 15 may have better "curb appeal", but after you've driven the 17", there's really no going back. Something that powerful, enjoyable, and capable that's incredibly thin and you can still toss in a backpack, is pretty impressive.

It's kind of hard to articulate the distinction between the feel of the 17" even compared to the 15" but once you've used it for a while, you'll know what I mean.

I really hope that the 17" MBP doesn't get the axe with the upcoming refresh. I feel like those of us who prefer them are in the minority but might just be the most passionate about it! Long live the 17" MBP :)

6. yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. I hold it for a couple of seconds in my hands and it didn't feel that heavy. Actually I think it was the lightest 17" laptop I've held so far.
    In terms of portability, it felt like if I can carry the 15", I shouldn't have any problems with the 17".

I think that was the only positive thing I had about it lol.
    How is with the cooling ? One of the other reasons why I wanted the 17" is of the better cooling, more space.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If it does get axed, I'm sticking with mine!

8. diannao macrumors regular

I did that. The reason was screen resolution. The 15 HR is a good compromise, but I didn't feel like compromising -- and most places where the 17 would be awkward to use the 15 would be as well.

That the 17 feels more like a 16 next to the 15 is just for the good -- some Windows laptops can be huge monsters taking up lots of space. If you can, get the 17 somewhere in the Apple Store where you can sit in front of it and use it, not just stand and look at it from an awkward angle. See how the screen fills more of your vision than the 15.

I have a moshi wrist rest cover which kind of breaks up the look of the case in that area. IIRC, the 17 has better speakers and a subwoofer, so that extra space on either side of the keyboard does have a purpose.

Obviously don't buy one if you can't read the text, but you might see if you need a new prescription.

I really like the 17. It's great to be able to go somewhere and get work done without suffering monitor withdrawal.

9. yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

^ I might just do that when I have the chance. I just hope that the retina-like rumors are true. I really want a crisp screen. Imagine having (almost) the iPhone 4 screen in the 17" version. Amazing !