There is something wrong with my macbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Enoch07, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enoch07 macrumors member

I AM AWARE THAT I HAVE OTHER THREADS ABOUT THIS SAME ISSUE. BUT NOBODY GAVE ME USEFUL INFO. SO THIS TIME I WILL MAKE MY ISSUE A LITTLE MORE CLEAR.

I have a macbook pro running os x Yosemite with 4 GB of ram and 440 GB of available storage space on the hard drive. My problem is that my applications do not work. When I start them, I get the spinning beachball and the program becomes unresponsive. This has been going on for a long time. But one day I tried to open Photo Booth. as usual it was unresponsive and didn’t open. But I then started to write some essays and I forgot I tried to open Photo Booth without force quitting it. All of a sudden, Photo booth popped up. I don’t know how long I left it there. Maybe an hour or 2. But when Photo Booth opened, ALL of my other applications started working. The problem with this is that if I restart or close photo booth, everything will become unresponsive again. But after some time I eventually had to restart my mac because finder kept freezing. I tried opening photo booth and leaving it there. But this time I have left it open for a whole night and still nothing. I know my issue is not a failing hard drive because FOR SOME REASON MY APPLICATIONS WORK IN SAFE BOOT. This time,

To provide more information, here are a list of things I have tried to fix this problem:

Opening applications in terminal
    Verifying and repairing disk permissions
    Removing ever application on my mac
    Creating another user account
    Reset PRAM
    Reset SMC
    Reinstalling os x and erasing everything

Non of these have worked.

So please give me a solution to this problem. Thanks in advance!

2. IndoX macrumors regular

If the issue happens on a known good user (i.e. new user or guest account), it is a system wide issue. If it doesn't, it's a user issue.

Erase the hard drive and repartition it. Reinstall OS X from internet recovery and do not restore from a time machine backup or migration assistant. If there is any directory corruption the issue will persist after migrating information so manually dragging files may be necessary.

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

What messages appear in the Console app when you have these troubles? (Assuming you can even run the Console app.)

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Please try to be patient, and stay with one thread. You have been getting answers that should be effective, and making a new thread about exactly the same problem means that you risk having to see everything rehashed redundantly by repeating the advice in a repetitious manner. Sorry to repeat myself, but that's an example that you should try to remember… :D

What do you see if you watch your Activity Monitor? Make sure that the display of processes is set for All Processes, and not just My Processes. You want to watch the Memory tab, as well as occasionally looking at the CPU tab. In Yosemite - you will see in the Memory tab, a graph for Memory Pressure. It should generally be green. If you have questions about that, come back here (don't make a new thread just for that, it will be related to the same issue… )

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As noted, please keep everything in your earlier thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.