There is still hope for a Gmail app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PaulieORF, Jul 15, 2009.

1. PaulieORF macrumors regular

The Comcast Mobile app was just released in the App Store today. What this has to do with Gmail is this; Comcast Mobile provides it's very own, stand alone mail app. This is something that people have been saying Apple would not allow since it duplicates the functionality of the included Mail app. I'm just speculating here, but Google could have a Gmail app in development, which is why they are only using ActiveSync to provide synchronized contacts and calendar, with the intention of releasing a standalone app that will give us full Gmail support. I'm sure push notifications would be utilized to satisfy the push Gmail craving so many of us have.

I could be wrong on this, but now that the Comcast Mobile app is out, I think it's completely possible for this.

2. celticpride678

I don't think this will happen because there is a Google app already. Also, because Google seems to be focusing on the Gmail web interface and performance, making it unlikely that there will be a application for Gmail.

3. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Isn't Gmail already Push for the Mongoloid (Android) phone? I thought it was for some reason. If so I can see them finding another way to make it also Push for the iPhone. IDK?

4. PaulieORF thread starter macrumors regular

They would need Apple's cooperation in doing this. That's what makes me think it's not likely, but who knows.

I agree on the web thing, that's what makes me not as sure as I'd like to be about this. Their web app for the iPhone is great, but if indeed Apple doesn't cooperate and play nice with pushing Google through the Mail app, and if Google just doesn't turn on email synching for ActiveSync, what other option is there for Google to provide push email, or at least push notifications?

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'd love to know how FREE Gmail can send my outgoing stuff so much faster than anything AT&T provides. I give AT&T $115 per month and all they give us for outgoing on the cell network is that lame-ass cwmx.com server, which is about as fast as sneakernet.

6. TLewis macrumors 65816

I'd like to know why people are even bothering with AT&T, when gmail and others seem to provide a better experience. :D