There MAY be a hardware solution that could mitigate signal issues.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrmjenkins, Jun 30, 2010.

1. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/06/putting-hard-numbers-to-the-iphone-4-antenna-issue.ars

Just don't get your hopes up for a huge improvement.

2. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

If Apple could give us just a little ****ing information it would be great.

3. shawntkeating macrumors member

4. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

But we already know this... ;)

No offense to the OP, however, or Ars, but it's nothing new, honestly. It doesn't mitigate the fact that you don't touch the antenna, ever, and making a cellular phone with antennas that the user can touch, ever, is a very bad idea, period.

5. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

People are reporting that if you remove the sim, wiggle it around, and reinsert it- they get a strong signal and the bars won't drop from a certain grip.

But they aren't considering that the contact is still there and what they've done is ask the phone to reestablish the connection with the tower- or even another tower.

What I'm seeing is the metal contacts of the sim is touching a portion of its tray that has a non conductive coating.

By reinserting the sim, the phone is doing manually what the software is supposed to do regularly- renegotiate a stronger signal or switch towers.

Once you have the strong signal, gripping will not drop bars and signal.

What does this mean? There's a software fix in the works.

6. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I also said that reseating the SIM renegotiates signal to the strongest available tower hence more bars. I was told that didn't make sense.

:(

7. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

There could be an issue with some of the SIMs. My launch phone had a SIM that straight-up didn't work. I had to go to AT&T to get a new one.

Old cell phone designs had ones with extendable antennas. Later models had ones with external antennas in the same location that were shorter but still touchable. In fact, some people would hold them and rest their index finger on them during calls.