Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clitheroekid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Hi,

I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on an iMac.

What I want to know (and please don't ask why!), is if it's possible to password protect a folder in my Applications, so that it can't be put in the trash, emptied or otherwise be tampered with?

This would need to be a different password from my Admin pass and not visible in the keychain.

Thanks!

cats4jan

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
Yes you are right there IS there is a way. In fact, several.

So........

How would one do it?

I know, technically, you answered his quesiton - but inherent in the question was the implication that he didn't know how to do it - so providing an answer to the unasked question would be helpful.

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Well, you could add an additional user, chown the folder to this new user, and chmod it 700 or whatever depending on if you want the thing able to be opened by other users.

I don't know what your intended use is and there is probably a more 'correct' way, just spitballing here.

clitheroekid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Well, you could add an additional user, chown the folder to this new user, and chmod it 700 or whatever depending on if you want the thing able to be opened by other users.

I don't know what your intended use is and there is probably a more 'correct' way, just spitballing here.

I don't know what the hell you are talking about:confused:

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
I don't know what the hell you are talking about:confused:
I that case, I'd suggest paying the $15 or so for TinkerTool System (google it) and use the ACL'S editor in TTS.

Depending on who you want to prevent from deleting this folder (you? others?) you'll set the ownership of the folder, but allow others to read/write its contents.

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
We can handhold you through doing this but we need to know what your intention is with said folder so we know what permissions mask you'll need.

clitheroekid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
We can handhold you through doing this but we need to know what your intention is with said folder so we know what permissions mask you'll need.

This is an exercise in self-censorship. As odd as it may sound, I want to protect myself from deleting the folder and its contents. As I said, don't ask why!

If I had the opportunity of password protecting it by using a series of letters, numerals, etc that would be complex enough not to remember the sequence. Then I would just burn the piece of paper that I had written the password on and never be able to remember what it was - hence never being able to delete the folder....:eek:

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Ok well then, open a terminal window, type sudo chmod 000, drag the folder to the terminal window (you should have text entered like sudo chmod 000 /Applications/Folder\ name) then press enter and enter your account password. When you feel the need to uncensor yourself just come back here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.